Dap Weldwood Plastic Resin Glue

Hey all,
Is anyone out there familiar enough with this stuff to have a good feel for what its setup time is?
Thanks in advance.
Brian.

it's been a while, but my fuzzy memory says you have pretty good open time, something like 15 minutes, then leave it in the clamps overnight.
Wonder if we're both thinking of the resorcinol version, which was my dad's favorite precisely because of the long open time.
The plastic resin glue gives a great pot life figure. http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/wppages/weldwood.php
Though the figure for the resorcinaol seems rather longer than my experience. http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/wppages/resorcinol.php

I *think* resorcinol is the waterproof version of Weldwood, both being urea formaldehyde...
Brian.

Doesn't look like it. Formaldehyde common, other different.
http://www.dap.com/msds/30201.pdf http://www.dap.com/msds/3022022.pdf
wrote in message
Brian wrote:

Not quite. "Resorcinol" glue is either resorcinol-formaldehyde or phenol-resorcinol-formaldehyde and is rated by the Forest Products Laboratories (major research institution) to be "structural fully exterior", while they rate urea-formaldehyde as "structural interior". I don't recall which formulation Weldwood uses in their "resorcinol" glue--been a long time but I seem to recall phenol listed on the label, in any case it's a quite different product from their "plastic resin" glue.
Note that "Weldwood" is a DAP brand name that covers at least as broad a range of adhesives as "Loctite".

--
--John
Is that the brown powerder glue that you mix with water? If so, you'll get 15 to 20 minutes of open time.

The responses you're getting saying 15-20min seems odd. DJM is fond of using "plastic resin glue" when he needs very long open times.
Gives the impression it would be "hours".
This site: http://www.jeffgreefwoodworking.com/commerce/glue/ gives the "hours" impression (albeit at cooler temps) too.
patrick conroy wrote:

Pot life, according to the manufacturer, ranges from 30 minutes to 4 hours depending on temperature, and they say it should not be used below 70F. <http://www.dap.com/techbulletins/00030201.pdf
--
--John

C'mon John - this is Usenet. No facts please, only conjecture allowed... :)

Actually 20 minutes sounds about right. I just wanted to confirm. It's probably more like 20-30, though. I think you're confused about the difference between open time and pot time.
Brian.

Heh. Hopefully you didn't take that the wrong way.
Brian.
On Wed, 04 Aug 2004 18:17:50 GMT, "patrick conroy"

could well be. it's been at least 10 years since I've used the stuff, and we all know what them rolling decades does to the memory....
plus, where I live, hot is more likely than cooler temps.