Dangerous in Enclosed Spaces

Page 1 of 2
What has your experience been with random combinations of toxic fumes that you may never have been warned about? It might be helpful to others to know about them. Of course, common sense would tell you to ventilate adequately, but the degree of effects that these combinations might have could possibly disable you before you could react. For example, I had a fire going in a wood stove in a closed garage and spilled a can of formica adhesive. I immediately developed a severe headache and became so dizzy I fell to my knees and had to crawl out the door. Bad combination. And everybody knows enough not to use a kerosene heater without ventilation, I hope.
There's a list of ingredients and cautions on that can, and an MEDS for the ingredients if you're not sure what they do.
Generally speaking, contact cements of the old type feature some real light ketenes and dainties like toluene as solvents and to speed tacky time. They can get to you quickly, especially if you're not drawing a lot of air through the chimney (and replacing it from outdoors) with that woodstove.

Of course that would be MSDS, not what Bill Gates says.

BUB 209 wrote:

torch on a large sheet of galvanized metal. Not until much later did I find out about heating galvanized metal would produce poisonous fumes. I got immediately nauseated. Live and learn.
I've also been exposed to phosgene gas on a number of occasions, but that's an issue I KNEW was hazardous, but unavoidable!
dave

Or not. I think that BUB's point was, "If I can learn without the toxic consequences, I'll be better off."
Some folks don't recover from these 'learning experiences'.
Patriarch, who doesn't want to win a Darwin...
patriarch < wrote:

just not something that comes up in everyday conversation. Nor is it a part of public school curriculum.
dave
Heating galvy isn't a health risk. Using a cutting torch on it can be. It's zinc that is the galvy part. Melt it and it gives of zinc oxide fumes. Inhale those fumes and the zinc gets into your system at much higher levels than is good for you and hard to purge.
I did lost wax casting of jewelry and small sculpture. Learned very early on that brass has zinc in it and bronze doesn't so you don't melt brass. There are also some bronzes that when melted give off toxix fumes - berylium (sp?) bronze gets very fluid and will let you cast very delicate details - BUT the fumes can mess you up.
In general, the better the ventilation, the lower the risk of fumes doing you in. If you have to have fumes in an enclosed space - WEAR A MASK that's capable of filtering out the bad stuff or better yet - a hood with air from outside.
And remember that a lot of fumes are flammable. In an enclosed space with an exposed flame like a Water Heater or room heater you're also creating all the ingredients for a BIG BOOM! Even a spark from a window fan can set things off. And this isn't limited to volatile liquids creating explosive fumes. Fine airborn saw dust - in sufficient concentrations can be just as explosive. If you're lucky, it'll only be a flash fire and you'll end up with the sun burned look rather than the shredded and charred look.
It ain't just the sharp stuff that can get you so let's be careful out there - please
charlie b
charlie b wrote:

I used an oxyacetylene torch. Mucho fumes. I was working in a fairly open area: 2,500 square foot shop with one wall open completely to the outside (roll up doors).
Thought of you when I scary sharped a chisel today.
dave

I did a sand cast to make a new latch for my microwave and I used brazing rods for the material. That works pretty well without any bad stuff happening. They are designed to be melted.
Was that exposure to phosgene gas a result of spending time on a nuclear submarine???
rob

Rob Jones wrote:

dave

No, it was after he started posting to sci.engr.chem and pissed them off as much as he did us.
--
Chaubaccy - poison delivered in someone's tobacco,
such as shredded PTFE
Andy Dingley wrote:

dave
On 07 Jul 2004 12:16:22 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (BUB 209) wrote:

My dumb one was cleaning a shower (no chance of ventilation) with C-L-R to get rid of the lime and scale and then following up with bleach to get rid of the skin oil stains. Hmmm, why are my eyes burning? Hmm, acid and bleach? What does that produce? Why, chlorine gas, of course.
Now I always wear a respirator when I clean the shower (boy do I look stupid; starkers with rubber gloves and a respirator), although I try to avoid using the bleach anymore, too.
- - LRod
Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999
http://www.woodbutcher.net
You learned the same lesson a woman on a recent call I had learned - dried up cleanser residue containing bleach, in her case, and ammonia to wipe the glass. Was the bluest person I had ever seen who was still alive. Still is, but it was touch and go for about 15 minutes.
Bleach is an acid, of course. As is the CLR (HCl, is it?) lime is a base.

Ummm.... no, it's not. At a pH of 12, it's a fairly caustic _base_.
http://www.inchem.com.ph/naocl.htm
Damn, and all the time I thought they were marketing hypochlorous acid, not the sodium hypochlorite.
Thanks for the heads up. Mine was.

LRod wrote:

    j4

Consider this my supreme humanitarian act for the sake of the wreck:
NO!!
- - LRod
Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999
http://www.woodbutcher.net
LRod wrote:

I've had people stare at me while I'm mowing my yard but since I'm over 40 I don't care. <g> My outfit: - Pants tucked into army boots. (Why have something catch in your pants leg while operating something that wants to take your toes off?) - Safety glasses. (About once a month in the summer something flies up from the mower & hits me in the face. Why risk the eyes?) - Mining hard hat (Hard hat with muff-style hearing protectors.) (When mowing around low-hanging branches I'll often bang my head. Wearing the hard hat keeps blood out of the eyes. ;-) Hearing protection keeps my head from ringing after I'm done.)
If it is dusty I'll wear a nose & mouth filter too.
I'm honestly surprised I haven't seen my picture in the local weekly wipe. ;-)
-- Mark