Damn... dropped it

Page 2 of 2
On Wed, 9 Jan 2013 16:15:07 -0500, "John Grossbohlin"

The meet was, but not the tool abuse. Oh, well. Just bondo the LN and be done with it, wot?

Ouch! Um, I'd be certain to never again volunteer my shop for anything, John. You have serious karma issues. <titter>
-- I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left! --anon
"Larry Jaques" wrote in message wrote:

I am involved with fund raising for the local Boy Scout Council and attended a Unit meeting last night where finances were discussed. From this I know all too well that some things just need to be let go... In this case I see no liability on anyone's part but my own and I'm rather confident that the plane can be repaired to function properly. If not... I'll use my grandfather's Millers Falls No 7 and, when there are enough nickels saved up, buy a new L-N.
John

I finally was of a mind to examine the L-N 7 this afternoon after being unwilling to do so for a good 6 maybe even 8 months. All I did after it fell was put the iron and cap iron back in place and note the damage to the toe and heel. Anyhow, upon inspection I determined that the damage to the body was limited to the dents and that it was not twisted, cracked, or otherwise beyond repair. I made quick work of restoring functionality to the sole with a mill file and some 600 grit emery paper. The small steel adjuster part that is screwed to the frog was bent and easily flattened with a brass hammer on the anvil part of my vice. The chip breaker had moved on the iron so I took that off. While it was off I touched up the edge on my large black Arkansas bench stone and reinstalled the cap iron. It looks fine. I reassembled the frog and adjusted it and the iron and did some testing. All seems OK even if there are some bright, but flat spots on the sole. There are enough small scratches on the body from use that I'd anticipate things will all blend in over time so nobody would ever know it was damaged. I guess I'm lucky it landed on the sole and not the tote!
John
On Sun, 20 Jan 2013 17:57:08 -0500, "John Grossbohlin"

Excellent news, John. That saves three mortgage payments, eh?
-- The problem with borrowing money from China is that thirty minutes later, you feel broke again. --Steve Bridges as Obama

Best regards
Han
email address is invalid

It sure seemed that way! ;~)
I think the worst part of fixing it was the notion of taking a file to an L-N plane... Not sure why considering I've taken files and stones to other relatively expensive items and haven't butchered anything (yet).
John

Probably just due to the fact that the other expensive items were not the epitome of perfection when first placed in your hands<g>
There is expensive and then there is L-N: expensive AND perfect

Its not the butchering, its the pain of having something that was pristine and treasured now imperfect that bothered you. Been there...
Once you get over it, it is actually a better tool, since you are not afraid of dinging it again.
--
Jeff

Kinda like the first door ding on a new car....

+1 (easier than repeating by you beating to the punch)
--
www.ewoodshop.com (Mobile)

"woodchucker" wrote in message

I was like that with my first L-N plane... a 4. After that one I just used them and let my kids use the stuff... planes, saws, etc. I figured out that the kids are much more interested if they enjoy success. I recall the dull, crappy old hand tools of my grandfather's that had been neglected and abused by the time I got to them... from trying to use them I was of the mind that you NEEDED power tools to do woodworking as hand tools were useless. ;~) After my stint at Colonial Williamsburg I had a different opinion.
RE L-N stuff, I bought a 5 simply because my kids couldn't handle the 7 and the York pitch 4 is all wrong for almost all planning--too specialized. Funny thing about the 5 is it became my most used and favorite plane... even if it was for the kids!
John ...whom has mastered the art of the sale.

As a matter of fact, my favorite plane is my #5, I have 2. One an old refinished stanley and the other a veritas low angle, so I can change the pitch of the blade at will.
I just finished today refinishing a 5 1/4 Junior Jack... that might become a favorite too. I picked it up at a garage sale for $1 about 5 years ago. It was pretty badly rusted and was painted. It looks awesome now, and works just as well. I wish I had a york pitched #4... , actually, I would like to find a 4 1/2... And like you I love working with planes, the finish is just astounding when planed. Plus nice and quiet. Don't get me wrong I love my power tools, but having really good working planes makes it really nice.
--
Jeff

Appropriate to think of it as the "beauty mark", considered part of a lovely woman's makeup, in the days when the plane was king ... ;)
--
www.ewoodshop.com (Mobile)

On Wednesday, January 9, 2013 10:52:40 AM UTC-6, SonomaProducts.com wrote:

Larry
"Gramp's shop" wrote in message
On Wednesday, January 9, 2013 10:52:40 AM UTC-6, SonomaProducts.com wrote:

You can only get away with that strategy for so long before it is questioned by others with influence.... ;~)
John
On Wed, 9 Jan 2013 08:52:40 -0800 (PST), "SonomaProducts.com"

floor. Put a wonderful divit on the leading edge that will have to be filed off becuase it actually impengies on the flat face maybe a 1/16th. I guess I finally get to use that granite block and do some lapping this weekend. I use that little plane almost every day I am in the shop. I have that same plane and use it every shop-day as well.

It'll still be flat, though. Cheapest prevention is to keep it near the center of the bench.