Damn... dropped it

Bounced my favorite Lie Nielsen low angle (brass) block plane off the concr= ete floor. Put a wonderful divit on the leading edge that will have to be f= iled off becuase it actually impengies on the flat face maybe a 1/16th. I g= uess I finally get to use that granite block and do some lapping this weeke= nd. I use that little plane almost every day I am in the shop.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

floor. Put a wonderful divit on the leading edge that will have to be filed off becuase it actually impengies on the flat face maybe a 1/16th. I guess I finally get to use that granite block and do some lapping this weekend. I use that little plane almost every day I am in the shop.

That's why I put commercial floor tiling in. In most cases my floor gets the divot removed. not the tool.

I realize your shop is much bigger and too costly to tile, but maybe work areas could get a ply underlayment.

Sorry for your loss.

BTW that tiling didn't help my Makita LS1013 from it's demise.. when I dropped it down the stairs to the basement. Destroyed the casting, the bars... total wreck.. and boy do I miss that Miter saw.. Huge table, smooth glide. I have not purchased another yet. Looking too, but the Kapex is too much... The glide looks nice, but is missing a laser.. not that the laser is that valuable for fine work, but for rough cutting lumber it would be nice.

Reply to
woodchucker

I know your pain... My L-N 7 got knocked off the bench during a Boy Scout project. Both the toe and heel suffered the same fate as your low angle... It hit hard enough that the iron and cap popped loose too. I have not had the heart to deal with it yet. The bench wasn't actually in use at the time but while materials were being moved around it got swept off the bench by materials. I can only blame myself for not moving the tools off the bench to a safer location... As a co-worker was fond of saying, "no good deed goes unpunished." ;~)

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

Throughout 99% of the long history of planes, when they were indeed the indispensable, exalted king tool of the wood shop, there was no such thing as a concrete floor, or a 'garage shop' with one ... ;)

Reply to
Swingman

I can only blame myself for not moving the tools off the bench to a safer location... As a co-worker was fond of saying, "no good deed goes unpunished." ;~) John

Yeah, one of the first shops I worked in had a rule that no power tool could be left on a bench. Anything with a cord had to left on the floor or stored on a shelf. They were fanatical about it. You could get fired for leaving any power tool on a bench.

I have always placed chisels far from any edge and used to be as careful with my planes. Only have to knock a chisel once and try to catch it... ouch. Just let it fall is safer but a bad angle and it is lots o grinding.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

Did you write to Boy Scout Corporate HQ to see if their insurance would cover it? LNs ain't cheap.

-- I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left! --anon

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I'm generally much more careful about things like this... but due to the project the shop was very cluttered and there wasn't much room to maneuver.

I recall that during one of my son's projects he accidently stabbed the Record vice with my 1/2" chisel and broke a corner off the edge. A few days later he dropped it and broke the other corner off. The chisel lost about

1/4" in length due to those two incidents. Oh well... I'd rather have the boys learning and doing than spend much time worrying about the infrequent accidental damage to my tools.

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

location... As a co-worker was fond of saying, "no good deed goes unpunished." ;~) John

be left on a bench. Anything with a cord had to left on the floor or stored on a shelf. They were fanatical about it. You could get fired for leaving any power tool on a bench.

my planes. Only have to knock a chisel once and try to catch it... ouch. Just let it fall is safer but a bad angle and it is lots o grinding.

Has any one tried to place a raised lip around their work bench to keep things from accidentally rolling off?

Reply to
knuttle

This is a "donation..." ;~)

As it was, the Unit put up about half the money for materials and a friend of mine, whom wishes to remain anonymous, put up the other half. I supplied the labor, my shop, electric, and tool maintenance and repair. Wouldn't you know it... during that project the magnetic switch on my cabinet saw died, the lower tire on my bandsaw broke (apparently at the seam), a nail embedded in the rough cut pine damaged a bunch of teeth on one of my Forrest blades, and the plane hit the floor. It is what it is... the boys benefited, the switch and tire probably would have failed on the next project anyway and that isn't the first time I've hit something embedded in virgin rough cut and I doubt if it will be the last.

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

No way in hell that will work, as it effectively emasculates the work bench for most woodworking tasks that they're designed for.

That said, many woodworking benches do have a tool "well" built into the surface that will certainly help keep an expensive tool from hitting a concrete floor.

Reply to
Swingman

I detest woodworking blogs with a passion, but case in point:

Swingman

This is a "donation..." ;~)

As it was, the Unit put up about half the money for materials and a friend of mine, whom wishes to remain anonymous, put up the other half. I supplied the labor, my shop, electric, and tool maintenance and repair. Wouldn't you know it... during that project the magnetic switch on my cabinet saw died, the lower tire on my bandsaw broke (apparently at the seam), a nail embedded in the rough cut pine damaged a bunch of teeth on one of my Forrest blades, and the plane hit the floor. It is what it is... the boys benefited, the switch and tire probably would have failed on the next project anyway and that isn't the first time I've hit something embedded in virgin rough cut and I doubt if it will be the last.

John

John.... Look at it this way. If you did not have any bad luck, you would not have any luck at all. :>) Sorry, had to say it. ww

Reply to
WW

Wouldn't work for me. I clamp stuff down to the table as a pretty standard = course of work. Most every assembly. I do have one small section where I ha= ve 2 vertical miter bar channels in the side of the table (it has a hard fa= cia about 5" deep) and a board with locking knobs so I can slide it up and = lock it to create an indexing edge when I want to line up items for assembl= y. Not sure the descripton is understandable but I use it quite often.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

crete floor. Put a wonderful divit on the leading edge that will have to be= filed off becuase it actually impengies on the flat face maybe a 1/16th. I= guess I finally get to use that granite block and do some lapping this wee= kend. I use that little plane almost every day I am in the shop.

Ouch. My worst was when the stock miter gauge from my Delta TS took a dive = and got knocked out of whack. Could not get it consistently square, so use= d that as an excuse to get the Incra.

Larry

Reply to
Gramp's shop

floor. Put a wonderful divit on the leading edge that will have to be filed off becuase it actually impengies on the flat face maybe a 1/16th. I guess I finally get to use that granite block and do some lapping this weekend. I use that little plane almost every day I am in the shop.

I have that same plane and use it every shop-day as well.

Reply to
Zz Yzx

Why would you do that? How would you clamp something to your bench and overhang the edge?

How would that stop something from going over. Imagine a 1/8 inch lip, if you pushed enough the plane would roll over and go over anyway. Same with a 1/2 lip. So what would be the point.

Wells are used on some benches. That might have helped, but not guaranteed.

Reply to
woodchucker

John, didn't you just replace that switch not too long ago, or needed info on wiring it???

John, seems like too many things went wrong during their time there. Was there a little devil in the group?

Let's see Forrest blade 134 Switch 50-200 Plane $425 New tire $30

you had a very expensive day....

Reply to
woodchucker

The project took me about 220 hours spread over a number of months... Much of it I worked on alone. It's the same switch as discussed about a year ago. During the project before that it was giving me grief. Once I got into this project it was worse. After cleaning it with contact cleaner, adjusting it, etc. it still didn't work so I replaced it. The plane accident happened near the end of the project.

As I recall the switch was $150 so yes it was an expensive project. However, the tire and switch failures during the project were a coincidence. They could have failed on the next project or the project after that... so they don't count against the project! I believe I can fix the plane to full function even if it doesn't have that "factory" look any more.

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

You can only get away with that strategy for so long before it is questioned by others with influence.... ;~)

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

knuttle wrote in news:kckmjq$3na$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

My main bench was designed with clamping in mind. There's no way it would work. However, on my secondary bench (mitersaw table), I've considered adding a back so tools don't fall off the back.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper