Are Lie-Nielsen planes...

as uncomfortable in the hand as they appear? Veritas doesn't make every type of plane I'd like to purchase, and when I look at the images of the LN planes, they look like they have sharp, unfriendly bodies. I'm only interested in the rabbet and specialty planes of theirs. I have all the block, jointer, and jack planes I need.

Dave

Reply to
David

I only have 2 LN, the low angle jack and the large scraper. I have a few LV as well. Uncomfortable is not a word I would use to describe LN. Beautiful, excellent, slick, all seem to fit, but uncomfortable? No.

Glen

Reply to
Glen

I don't own any, but I've tried them in seminars.

They're awesome works of mechanical art. Considering the facts, I think they're worth what they cost. Of course, I think my Veritas planes are also awesome, beautiful enough for use, but I can actually afford them.

I didn't find any LN plane more or less comfortable than any of the Veritas or old Stanley and Sargent stuff I have.

But then again, I'm no neander...

Barry

Reply to
Ba r r y

Their edges are nicely finished, as with the rest of the plane. If you are ham-handed, you will find the clearances similar to the heritage planes they imitate. Advantage LV. As to a rabbeting plane, you do have a fence and the LV shoulder, if you care.

Reply to
George

I just got the LN 60 1/2R rabbet plane for Christmas. I agree that some of the LN planes don't look as comfortable as the Lee Valley planes, but this one seems to be an exception. The top heel section is rounded and fits in the palm of your hand very nicely. If you opt to go with this plane, I think you will be happy with it. I was waiting around to see if Lee Valley was going to come up with one with an adjustable mouth, but decided not to wait.

Reply to
eganders