Dado Recommendation

Page 1 of 2

Hello Folks,
During my next trip to the US, I’m planning to get a dado cutter set for my TS (4 HP, max. 12” blades). Unfortunately, we can’t get the affordable ones any more here in Germany for security reasons. Two questions: What is your recommendation for a good quality set which can be mail ordered in advance to the address of a friend in the US? Are you aware of sets for 30mm arbors or a commercial source for 5/8 to 30 mm adaptors?
TIA
Matthias
Matthias Muehe wrote:

What security issues would they have with dado blades??
RicodJour schrieb:

All tools with manual feed used in commercial environments must have a chip thickness control/limitation as otherwise something could get caught and fire back. AFAIK this is the reason. This would not necessaryly apply for private use, but the commercial market is gone ....
Matthias
Matthias Muehe wrote:

OK, now I understand you. I had mental images of terrorists throwing dado blades around like a ninja's shuriken. http://www.answers.com/main/ntquery?s=shuriken&gwp
snipped-for-privacy@worldemail.com says...

I would simply have to refuse to live in. However, I'm afraid the good ole' U.S. is getting to be just like so many little pitiful countries with such laws/rules. God!, maybe I just oughta be thankful I grew up in the 50's and maybe I'll be lucky enough to have enjoyed a good life and be dead before that sorry state of affairs finally comes to pass here. SHEEZ! --controlling dado blades! What a CROCK!!
TEX
P.S. - Watch out for that 60 grit sandpaper - it just might nick a fingernail.
At least in Germany, they can have them. In the UK, they can't sell a table saw with an arbor long enough to take a dado blade.

Tex wrote:

Apparently they have some kind of regulation about how fast the saw has to stop and dado blades add enough inertia that the saw won't stop within the allowed time.
Fellow I used to work with came to the US in the early 40s due to having the good fortune to survive an encounter with the 82nd Airborne. A few years ago he went back to Germany to visit relatives--first time he had been back since he was captured. His comment was that they lived really well, had nice houses, beautiful furniture, and there wasn't enough money in the whole world to induce him to move back there.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
Tex wrote:

I agree 100 per cent about the Nanny State stuff, on the other hand it's good to be aware of the damage a dado setup can do. As part of your community service and classroom time children I'll describe something I did as a novice - The 5 blades were set up for dadoing and in the meantime I needed to rip a board. The amount of waste didn't matter and I didn't feel like changing the blade, so I began the rip. The wood began to warp and there was a big boom! and the piece flew into my solar plexus, knocking the wind out of me. The next day I noticed that the blade was out of parallel with the table. The force of the wood jamming against the blade actually bent the trunnion of the saw!

I'm guessing from his name that English is not Herr Muehe's first language, but German is -- and probably he means safety issues; the word in German is the same ("sicherheit").
--
Regards,
Doug Miller schrieb:

Matthias

Looks like you posted the question to the wrong group, if you want my opinion! All you've gotten so far is useless nonsense about how you say something, pronounce something, and crap like that. Then they start off with other useless, pointless nonsense and forget about your, the original poster's question. I'll try and help.
http://forrestman.stores.yahoo.net/index.html
I've gotten quite a bit of stuff there.
BTW, it matters not what others interrupt, you know what you mean.
Tim Taylor wrote:

Bob answered his question succinctly and included a couple of links to two different manufacturers, including Forrest, within an hour of the OP's original post, so I'm not sure what you mean about useless nonsense.

Perhaps English is not Tim's first language and misunderstood Bob's comment and or question.

Es war nur eine kleine Fehler. Wahrscheinlich ist Ihr Englisch viel besser als meinen Deutsch.

What are you talking about? Particularly, why say that in response to *me*? All I did was to explain to someone else why a (presumably) non-native speaker of English might have written "security" when he meant "safety".
--
Regards,

I'm not. Forgive me, or rather this stupid ass ISP. They screwed up again!! Disregard things that look out of place, because they are. Wasn't my fault. Well I guess it is, I should really get a better news reader.

They don't want ninja terrorists getting ahold of them and using them as throwing stars.

Years ago, I was watching a low-budget martial arts movie on TV, one of those films that's so bad it's good because it's unintentionally funny... and in one scene, the Bad Guys are chasing the Good Guy and the Pretty Girl through a warehouse. The Good Guy has run out of throwing stars (Oh, NO!!), and just as the Bad Guys are closing in, he and Pretty Girl run past a pile of blades for portable circular saws (which just conveniently happened to be laying there). Good Guy grabs some and throws them at the Bad Guys, stopping them in their tracks. Good Guy turns to Pretty Girl and says, deadpan -- and I swear I'm not making this up, he really said this -- "Thank God for Black and Decker."
--
Regards,
Doug Miller wrote:

Have you ever scaled a circular saw blade at a tree? It's lots more fun than a frisbee.
On Sun, 11 Jun 2006 02:20:30 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

Well obviously. If they'd been using better quality tools they wouldn't have needed to have whole piles of them lying around, would they? Plus if that had been a Festool circular saw the Good Guy would have been obligated to stop and play with it, thus getting the Pretty Girl kidnapped.
-Leuf

used it for a commercial.
Since their target audience is probably the same guys who watch this sort of thing.
(Sorry about that Doug)