Dado Blades – Need Recommendation

Have a Unisaw, looking for a dado set. On-line I’ve found and read about everything from a $50 set with paper shims to a high-end Freud SD600 dial-a-width adjustable dado costing $400 ($250 street price). Any recommendation on a dado that cuts square corners and a flat bottom??? Where to buy???
--
joe2

Add pictures here
✖
I have the Freud SD600. I picked it up at a woodworking show. I think it does a great job. No complaints at all.
Jim www.woodblog.com
Add pictures here
✖
The Infinity Dadonator has been the top pick in several WW magazine tool tests. I have had one for 6 months and LOVE it. At $179.00 Its a great deal. check it out at www.infinitytools.com
Davethetooljunky
Add pictures here
✖
I picked up the forrest when amazon had it on sale for ~$100 last year. It is great.
-j

Add pictures here
✖
I would stay away from the Avenger. Bottoms are no where near flat. max

Add pictures here
✖

Same here, and I got it the same way, for $149, delivered. <G>
The 8" Dado King does leave very slight "bat wings", but I'll take them considering the beautiful results the set provides across the grain of hardwood veneer plywood.
My DK replaced a Freud 8", which I can't remember the number but it was ~$100.
The DK is on my very short list of tools that I would pay full price to replace, if necessary.
Barry
Add pictures here
✖

Forrest dado-king. Comes with mag shims. Cuts like a laser.
Just my 2 pennies.
Add pictures here
✖

Hard to go wrong with the Ridge Carbide "North Woods" dado set IMO. http://www.ridgecarbidetool.com/html/dado.htm
Somewhat smoother cut than the Forrest Dado King, at about two-thirds the price. Bought one at the woodworking show about three years ago, and am absolutely delighted with the quality of the cuts.
--
Regards,
✖
"Joseph Connors" wrote in message

How did you get it from Amazon at that price??
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/05
"Joseph Connors" wrote in message

Post your Amazon link ... the only price I see on Amazon, or any links from there, for the Freud SD-608 is still $249.99.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/05

(Amazon.com product link shortened)30864996/ref=sr_1_1/103-8807497-4203008?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance
Add pictures here
✖
"Neal" wrote in message

That's what I kept coming up with ... I would have jumped all over an SD-608 at the price Joseph say's he bought at.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/05
Joseph Connors Wrote:

Thanks to everyone for the suggests!!!
I tried for the $170 Infinity Datonator but they are sold out, on back order for a couple weeks more. Didn’t want to toss out $250 for the Freud dial-a-setting dados, but then Joseph mentioned a deal on Amazon.com. Didn’t find it, but I did find a brand new set of Freud SD608 dial-a-setting dado on Ebay for $186 delivered, so I bought it.
Thanks again to everyone.
--
joe2

Add pictures here
✖

That's where I bought mine. Came in time and a sealed factory package. One of the few tools that I have really just played with, its neat. ED
Add pictures here
✖
"Swingman" wrote in message news:...

from
I've been wanting to give this "Freud SD-608" set a try considering the miles of dado's I seem to cut in a year, mostly based on how damn tired I get of dealing with the plethora of shims on my old Amana stack.
It seems Joseph was indeed remarkably prescient above, I am tickled to say.
The local Rockler here in Houston just sold one to me for $199.99 plus tax.
They were having an e-mail promotion of 20% off any one item (with a few exclusions) and, although they originally quoted me $249.99, it came up at the register for $259.99, but they honored the verbal quote.
$249.99, less the $50 discount, plus $16.50 tax = $216.49 ... precisely the incentive I needed to make the jump.
So, thanks Joseph, for your precience, and Rockler for your good business judgement.
On that note, the management and salesmen/girl at the local Rockler here in Houston are indeed a fine bunch of folks, all knowledgeable woodworkers themselves, and Texas friendly to a treat. Just to walk in and be greeted by name is like going into the old Hardware store in the town of my childhood.
No affiliation ... just a satisfied customer who understands how rare that is in this day and age!
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/05