Dado blade tooth count

Page 1 of 2

Greetings all. This is my first post to the group, and my first post to a newsgroup!
I am upgrading from a wobble dado to a set. I plan to use it for a variety of projects, hardwood, softwood, plywood and MDF. I am leaning towards a higher side blade tooth count, in the 20+ range on an 8" set. Does this sound reasonable?
I am leaning toward the Freud SD308.
Thanks for any input.
Jim K wrote:

Welcome.
That sounds like a regular tooth count for an 8" dado. "higher" counts would be in the 40-tooth range.
Chris

Can you actually tell me who makes a 8" dado blade set with the outer blades having 40 teeth? Seems it would be almost impossible to keep the chippers teeth from coming in contact with the outer blades teeth.
Leon wrote:

I know of at least three--the third is actually 46 teeth.
http://freud-tools.com/freudsd8safd1.html http://www.1blades.com/products.ecs/list/164/1584/0/5 / http://www.dimarcanada.com/products/product_details.php?familyIDVar=3&pLineIDVar=2&categoryIDVarq&groupIDVar%0
Chris

Here's one: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?ItemnumberD566
42 tooth outer blades and 6 tooth chippers.
--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland

Not yet mentioned is the need, or lack of, for more teeth. In theory it sounds like it would be better, but in practice, it may not make a difference.

I think most are about 20T. Check out www.infinitytools.com for the Dadonator and www.ridgecarbide.com for theirs, as well as the Forrest. All are good performers. The Freud is good, but one of these may offer something else for you.

article for your own interpretation):
Amana 65804 - 46T - This is their Melamine blade but tests showed it worked great overall
BC Saw & Tool 3008400 - 40T - Not a top performer
Everlast DS840 - 40T - Not a top performer
Systimatic 37160 - 42T - Not a top performer
By "Not a top performer" I mean there was at least one negative performance aspect in the tests. Oddly enough, all the best blades, except for the Amana, were all 24T. Negative hook seemed to work best.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in

Now there's some info you can sink your teeth into.
| Greetings all. This is my first post to the group, and my first post to a | newsgroup! | | I am upgrading from a wobble dado to a set. I plan to use it for a variety | of projects, hardwood, softwood, plywood and MDF. I am leaning towards a | higher side blade tooth count, in the 20+ range on an 8" set. Does this | sound reasonable? | | I am leaning toward the Freud SD308.
I've never understood the need for high tooth count in the outside blades when the ones in the middle have two. Any explanations other than "tooth count envy"? For the smoothest dados you need to clean out the groove with a router anyway.

The chippers only have to smooth the bottom of the dado. The out side blades need to make smooth cuts on the edge of the dado whether it be with or across the grain, solid or plywood. The more teeth the smoother that cut is. A good dado blade does not require further clean up with a router.
| > | | > | > I've never understood the need for high tooth count in the outside blades | > when the ones in the middle have two. Any explanations other than "tooth | > count envy"? For the smoothest dados you need to clean out the groove | > with | > a router anyway. | > | | The chippers only have to smooth the bottom of the dado. The out side | blades need to make smooth cuts on the edge of the dado whether it be with | or across the grain, solid or plywood. The more teeth the smoother that cut | is. A good dado blade does not require further clean up with a router. |
You haven't answered the question of why the edges of the dado are more important than the center.
Norm

More visible in the finished piece, IMO. The edge, not the inside portion.

Sure I have. If the edges are rough and or splintered the joint looks like crap. Not totally like cross cutting oak with a rip blade with few teeth. Basically you normally see much much more of the edge of a dado than the end of a dado.

Sounds like you need a better dado blade. Mine never need cleaning.

Make that two of us that don't need to clean up the groove.
Ba r r y wrote:

And 2 of us that need a new dado blade!
Harvey
eclipsme wrote:

If you have a sharpening service around you can get your dado blade resharpened, If they know what they're doing, they'll make sure that all the blades and chippers cut to the same depth.
The local guy hates doing dados because of this, but he does do them.
Chris
Chris Friesen wrote:

This sounds like it would cost more than a decent set to begin with.
Harvey
eclipsme wrote:

Around here sharpening is 25 cents a tooth. It's lots cheaper than a new dado set.
Chris