D4R vs Omnijig ?

Page 2 of 2
"Swingman" wrote

Would a new (or different brand) dovetail jig be a solution for your "creeping fingers" problem? It seems that if this jig did a good job in the past, and you are having problems now, it is time for an upgrade of some kind. Have you talked to the Leigh people about this?
Lee Michaels wrote:

Hell NO, Lee!! There is NO problem now because this last batch of drawers are made, installed, the kitchen turned over to the client already!
There is NO problem ... until next time. <g>
And, like I said, I won't have time to deal with it until then.
(but you're right ... I do need to contact Leigh, RSN)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Swingman wrote:

There's a difference between us on what we think is "funner" then... :)
It's the doors I'd not want to part with...
I agree wholeheartedly w/ turnings; but I really don't see the difference at all on routed dovetail drawers; after all, we're not cutting them by hand (and I'm certainly not claiming I _EVER_ did that for anything but the one-off piece of actual furniture, not kitchen/desk/etc. drawers) so the visual result is the same. Maybe you leave some parts laying around in the shop for the visitors... :)
But, you're in business yet and doing well and I'm not going to argue; only a suggestion...
Meanwhile, I'm tryin' to survive again on the farm and doing only a little work for myself other than the extensive outbuilding repair/restoration work...
I've thought several times that if were in larger market area, it would be fun to have an architectural millworks, but this is too small a population base close by and certainly not in current building climate.
And, given how old I've gotten somehow while not paying attention... :)
dpb wrote:

Different preferences ... I've always had a, well fetish is too strong a word, liking/attraction for boxes since I was a kid ... even spilling over to my computer days when I visualized database programming as dealing with "boxes of data" ... go figure.
That would explain the attraction, drawers being definitely boxlike, of why I prefer to outsource doors, and not drawers. :)

I know what you mean, but even with routed dovetails, the drawers are obviously done "by hand" ... maybe it's the lousy craftsmanship? :)
Ever notice that folks who are not familiar with hand crafted kitchens will walk through the Borg and think the KraftMaid kitchens are beautiful; while those whose eye has gotten used to seeing hand crafted cabinets will remark that the KraftMaid look "cheap" ... heard that remarked on countless times from clients.

Know the feeling ...
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

And to add to that, the pieces that actually do have DT'S, are NOT suppose to give you splinters when you run your hand over the joint. Shocking how furniture manufacturers skip the detail of sanding the DT'S.
Swingman wrote: ...

Maybe that difference is why I avoided database programming like the plague... :)

OK, get them to ship them preassembled and rough up some edges w/ the block plane and a chisel slip here and there ya' have it: ...voila!--"craftsmanship"!!! <VBG>

Yeah, I do know precisely what you mean. It's been ages so don't have a recent one, but the pieces returned from the Morristown boys back then still "looked like" wood despite the precision if you can figure.
On present consideration, probably mostly because I was getting them returned unfinished and unassembled; if they had one of the catalyzed finishes they used for the large manufacturers they could well have had that ugly (to us) plastic/obviously large manufacturer look.
But again, of course, if it's the piece of the pie that's your favorite, I'm not agonna say nuttin' agin doin' whatcha likes (not that it'd make any difference anyway... :) ).
dpb wrote:

Ooops, lousy craftsmanship there as well--obviously, that was intended as "unassembled" to make any sense at all; and even then it's only a very poor attempt at a joke...

Swing: Try these guys. They're the real deal. I've bought a lot from them in the past. They stay on spec and on time.
http://www.conestogawood.com /
Regards,
Tom Watson wrote:

Sorry, Tom ... got the flu, not thinking clearly, and probably missing the point. You mean a setup template for the jig itself?
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

No Sir: I meant to set up the fingers perfectly and then use them to create a solid template that would replace the movable fingers for production runs.
Regards,

ahso! Thanks for the info. didn't know that.
shelly

I understand, but still doubt it. It would take quite a bang (like dropping it) to bend a finger The impression I got is that he meant the fingers wiggle - something I don't understand at all.
Understanding how the "Leigh DT jig" in particular adjusts helps to understand the problem? All fingers are infinately adjustable and can be spaced either directly next to each other or wider apart for wider pins and tails. If a finger moves it basically changes the set up spacing. This either creates loose fitting pins and tails with gaps or tighter fitting pins and tails that typically are damaged/crushed when fully seated.

.
again, thanks for the info. I knew that the fingers were adjustable, had assumed that in a standard dt setup they would all be next to one another, and hence couldn't flex independently... wrong assumption!
shelly
wrote in message

again, thanks for the info. I knew that the fingers were adjustable, had assumed that in a standard dt setup they would all be next to one another, and hence couldn't flex independently... wrong assumption!
shelly
;~) and the halves can be seperated so far that a spacer/filler is used in between the area between the fingers so that the router bit will not go where it should not.
Swingman wrote:

That was one of the sources of error I identified. In my case, it didn't take very much for the gaps to start. Another error source is that the fingers can have a variable gap; i.e., the gap from the pin side to the tail side is not equal. Like you, I found that swapping the fingers didn't help much.

I agree that the results are "acceptable"; I was tired of acceptable and wanted good; that's why I changed.

Rob Leatham
Anyone in this thread considered/used the Woodrat?
-- Andy Barss