d handle?

what is a d handle used for on a router? is it worth the extra bucks to get one?
Supposedly it makes the router easier to control with one hand. I have the D handle for the Makita 1101 and don't like it very much. If anyone has the reg base or plunge base and wants to trade...!

I myself like the D handle, and if I had a makita (instead of porter cable) I would gladly trade for his. I guess it depends on what you want to use the router for, and your personal preferences.

It is great if you need to operate the router with one hand or reach further across your work than normal, most the time D handle routers are fixed base & great for hands on & outstretched work on the surface of your material allowing better visibility from the sides than a plunge router which is normally operated from above.
Jon~
Far superior control over the router. The PC d-handle is the king of fixed based routers in my opinion.