Cyclone-style Dust Collectors.

Now that one piqued my interest. Especially 2 in series. Thank you, Pat.

Reply to
Robatoy

V-grooving 3/4" MDF or PB with a CNC.

Reply to
Robatoy

Just a bit of personal experience and my basic cheapness:

I built a "cyclone" system 5 or 6 years ago out of a fiber 50 gallon drum and it's fantastic..

The drum was free I made a plywood lid for the drum (good excuse to build a quick & dirty circle jig for the router) Cut two 4" holes in the lid, one in the center and one near an edge.. Put a straight DC hose connecter in the middle hole, A DC elbow in the hole on the edge.. (should say the one closer to the rim, I guess)

I connected the hose from the tools to the elbow and the DC hose to the middle hole.. Middle hole works a little better if you have a bit of lift straight up before directing it to the DC...

All I get in the DC lower bag now is fine dust.. All the heavier stuff accumulates in the barrel.. I used to have to empty the bag every month..... Now, I empty the barrel frequently, which is easier and a lot less mess, and haven't had to empty the DC bag more than once a year or so... YMWV

That said, I use the DC for the lathe and band saw, so different tools would have different results.. I use to use the separator/cyclone on the router table and saw and it worked fine, but the really messy stuff is outside now and the DC isn't connected to them..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A0|293%3A1|294%3A50Wish I'd seen that when I was building mine. I'd have saved some time and money.

Reply to
J. Clarke

I had that, it's like comparing my single engine C182 to a Gulfstream. Without the can, it was my Beech 23, compared to my C182.

A real cyclone works so much better than a preseperator that it's not funny. The extra drum on a bag DC eats CFM, so the suction is much reduced.

Reply to
B A R R Y

planer) but does not do as good a job with the fine stuff as a lot of that still gets to the filters.

That's why John said "properly designed".

My JDS has had over 200 gallons of junk sucked in over the last three months, with less than 2 gallons in the filter bag.

I use a decent amount of MDF and plywood, and own a 22" drum sander, so I get plenty of "fine" dust. It's really obvious just by looking in the drum how much fine dust the drum catches.

Reply to
B A R R Y

I get so much MDF dust in the drum, I created a shop made bag holder to install plastic bags. Dumping the drum was gross.

The bag holder is simply a garbage can that fits inside the drum, with the bottom cut out. I install the bag, put in the can, and work... At dump time, I pull out the can, close the bag, and repeat.

Reply to
B A R R Y

ter or planer) but does not do as good a job with the fine stuff as a lot o= f that still gets to the filters.

I know you know your dB's. JDS claims 78 dB. Is that even close?

Reply to
Robatoy

Robatoy wrote

I don't have a meter anymore, so I can't measure it. @ 10 feet, it's comparable to my DC1200, at a much lower pitch. The main note on the

3100ck is down in the 100Hz area. The ductwork makes more noise than it did before, as the blast gates whistle a bit.

If JDS "A" weighted the measurement, it's EASILY 78, as all of the noise from the actual unit is low frequency. You can actually talk over it.

It reminds me of firing up a large system with only the subs running. You could talk, but there was an extremely annoying rumbling distraction in the background.

Reply to
B A R R Y

And then you have to change your Depends.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Neat. I gotta do something like that at some point. The drum on mine is small, since the whole thing has to fit under a 7 foot ceiling, so it's not that big a deal to take it outside to dump, but it's still gross with MDF. With the Argentinian hardwoods that I used to be able to get from CWG though it was a treat--still a lot of dust but it smelled _incredible_.

Reply to
J. Clarke

or planer) but does not do as good a job with the fine stuff as a lot of that still gets to the filters.

I had a real interesting discussion here about "sound suppressors" a few years ago, don't know if you remember it.. I was trying to figure out how the DC muffler from Penn State could lower the DB's 7 to 10 db's for "up to a 50% reduction".. Sounded like snake oil to me, so I asked here and got lots of answers that used math to explain it and were beyond my understanding.. Then, someone (Dr. Deb?) said that they had one and it lowered it nicely..

I bought one and was really amazed at the difference... Cheap "2 hp" DC from Harbor Freight, went from shouting to someone next to you to talking in an almost normal tone..

Got explained to me later in terms that I could understand.. Something about taking even a few DB off the top lowers the "annoying" level quite a bit.. Anyway, works for me and I'd never run a DC without one now.. YMWV

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

mac davis wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Hey mac!

The scale for dB is logarithmic - I think that each increase of 1 means

10 times more, just as the Richter scale for earthquakes. Better look at wikipedia for more info. How come you need a reduction of 7 to 10 dB for 50% reduction is not immediately clear, unless we have to go back to the Bel decibel is 1/10 of a Bel). Then 10 dB=1 B, or a factor 2. But maybe I need more coffee, and then advice from DIL, who teaches physics in a high school.
Reply to
Han

In the Decibel scale, a 3 dB reduction equates to a reduction by 1/2. dB scale is logarithmic. Depending upon whether one is converting from power or not, the conversion from linear scale to logarithmic scale is either dB = 10 * log10(P) or dB = 20 * log10(A).

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

You might!

One of the systems I used on a regular basis had a full boat of Servo Drives...

Reply to
B A R R Y

Even a slightly over-sized plastic can slit down the side should work.

The bag makes a HUGE difference.

Reply to
B A R R Y

However, you set your cyclone up, vent it outside the building into a suitable enclosure (I made mine to look like an outhouse). This way, you get rid of the dust, which is the whole purpose.

Deb

Reply to
Dr. Deb

How did you provide make-up air back into the building?

I'd like to do this myself, but haven't seen a method that I like for my application.

Reply to
B A R R Y

You also get rid of any warm air in the shop right quick.

Reply to
J. Clarke

J. Clarke wrote: : Robatoy wrote: :> The pleated-paper canister filter on my 2HP DC is just overwhelmed. :> Better than the old bag. A bag is good for 1 hour.... I really need :> to :> do something. :> I figure that if I were to upgrade to a double canister 3-4 HP :> set-up, :> all it would do would buy a little time between dumping. :>

:> So, I'm told that a cyclone is the way to go. What do we know about :> those things?

:

Just about anything you want to know is there.

Some of it is useful and accurate, some of it is neither.

One should also consult reviews on cyclones from FWW, Popular Woodworking, and other major magazines. And the engineers at Oneida give free advice and very useful help in designing and planning a system.

-- Andy Barss

Reply to
Andrew Barss