Cyclone-style Dust Collectors.

Care to point out the inaccuracies?

Reply to
J. Clarke
[...snip...]

But in human perception terms, according to audio textbooks I have, a

3 db increase is generally perceived as just noticeable, and a 10 db increase is perceived as twice as loud.
Reply to
Jim Weisgram

Exactly why I blanked out when folks tried to explain it.. My math skills are just about good enough to run a calculator..lol

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

That first line is the comforting part, after that, it's all Greek (geek?) to me.. thanks!

Feliz Navidad

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

For sure...

What isn't fair is that in summer, it doesn't seem to vent much heat.. Then again, we all know that life isn't fair..

Feliz Navidad

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

mac davis wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

That's normal. Most Physics formulas include greek letters. :-)

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Correct. I recall this being demonstrated to me many years ago as a trainee with the BBC. It is just noticeable on a steady tone but almost never on "program"

Noticeably louder certainly but whether twice as loud depends on individual perception.

Reply to
Stuart

: Care to point out the inaccuracies?

It's filled with hyperbole, it claims no commercial DC company is worth their salt (he has a particular dislike of Oneida), he claims he's spent a hundred thousand dollars on putting up his website and requests donations, he recommends homebuilt systems that are over powered, and he exaggerates the efficacy of the system he advocates and the dangers of small amounts of dust.

It may just be me, but the site has a cultish, conpiracy theory feel.

However, it does contain some useful information. I just think a person should look elsewhere as well.

-- Andy Barss

Reply to
Andrew Barss

I don't see any specifics there, your assertions are very vague.

Reply to
J. Clarke

I share his vague disquiet. The entire site is very dust-phobic, bordering on obsessive and paranoid. It's difficult to say more without quantifying air quality in your own shop. I think about buying a good airborn particulate counter from time to time. OTOH, the only purpose that would serve is to verify whether or not I need to punch a hole through the masonry to vent to the outside, with the attendant problems. Subjectively, the small'ish DC and air cleaner work adequately most of the time, with the ROS being the sole exception. A hole in the wall likely won't help the ROS.

Reply to
MikeWhy

A Shop Vac, drywall bag, and $20 auto switch can do wonders for a ROS.

If you're really paranoid, you can add a Cleanstream HEPA filter to catch what escapes the drywall bag.

Reply to
B A R R Y

Yup. I use it so seldom, mostly on plywood only, and then only rarely. I haven't bothered getting the 1" adapter to fit on the sander. Hand sanding with 220 suffices, but that has a different dust problem. Solid wood gets planed or scraped. (So, it's fair to say I stopped using it for lack of a $2 vac adapter. I hate the whine of that shop vac, too.)

Reply to
MikeWhy

Weather permitting, I sand stuff like that outside.. I find myself working more and more in the carport, using the "Baja Breeze" handle the dust.. Moving the table saw, router table and belt/disk sander outside made a huge difference in how often I have to dust the stuff in the shop..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

The "Connecticut Breeze" is a tad less accommodating this time of year.

Reply to
B A R R Y

That's what we are hearing. How many inches of global warming have you got so far? Or has it missed you and only hit the midwest?

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

~ 14 last weekend!

I live about 30 minutes from the shore, @ 100 ft/MSL, so that's a huge storm.

Reply to
B A R R Y

14" last Friday, 23.5" on Sunday.
Reply to
Nova

Mere flurries, for you!

Reply to
B A R R Y

Saw a dusting of frost on the lawn (green) this morning. I don't envy you all in the least.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

Yep.. local makes a huge difference.. Right now, a long sleeve shirt is all I need to work outside, but during the summer it's just too hot/humid to work outside.. Forecast this morning was for a warming trend, maybe up to 70... After 2 years here, we've acclimated a bit though and 70 with a strong breeze is kind of cold..

From what I've heard, your spring is spectacular, though..