Cutting Board Project Question

I am going to make a very basic cutting board. I saw on a website that I should use hardwoods (oak, maple, poplar, cedar?). I went to Lowe's and they had 1x2x2 pre-cut and sanded for about 1.50 - 1.70 each. By this price, and needing about ten of them, I would spend $34.00 on the wood. I can buy it cheaper (I know I won't have the "experience.") When I was in school, we made one from rough pieces of cut wood and we had to sand and make it nice. I feel too much like I am cheating when I didn't cut the wood into strips to begin with, but the sanded and fixed up pieces is too much. I don't wan't a snap together model.

Where can I get the wood so that it isn't all fixed up for me (and I don't want to cut down any trees!)? Cost? Thanks.

Reply to
jm

For that kind of money Croffwood Mills will deliver 50 feet of 1x2 (.75x1.5) hard maple to your door. (HM-FP $26 plus shipping)

I don't have any vested interest in them but I have had good luck buying from them. croffwoodmills.com

Reply to
Gfretwell

They didn't "fix it up" all sanded and everything did they? If 50ft. about what I should get? I know you may have just been giving an example.

Reply to
jm

the traditional wood for cutting boards is hard maple with a mineral oil finish. look for local mills in your area. go to google archives and search the rec archives for suppliers in your area

Frank Ketchum

This will be about 3 square feet of 1 1/2" thick cutting board. That is 2 or 3 nice ones.

This wood is very well manicured but trust me, if this is your first glue up project, you want it as clean as it can be. I still ended up sanding plenty. If you have a new jointer/planer you want to play with this is probably not what you want tho. If you are just using "carpenter tools" (like I have) this is your stuff.

Reply to
Gfretwell

I don't quite get your math here ??

Todd L

Reply to
Todd L

I need 20 of them.

20 * 1.5 = 30 or $30.00. I should have said ten of each kind of what I was going to get. I wanted the checker board effect, so I was going to get 10 maple and 10 something else.
Reply to
jm

I found a place that would do

13/16'' 6'' 10'

$5.50 a board foot - hardwood maple

I think this is also 5 sq. ft.

Does one inch planed out really mean 13/16''?

Reply to
jm

The 3/4" from Croffwood is exactly 3/4". I assume 1" will be 1".

Reply to
Gfretwell