Cutting Board Project Question

I am going to make a very basic cutting board. I saw on a website that I should use hardwoods (oak, maple, poplar, cedar?). I went to Lowe's and they had 1x2x2 pre-cut and sanded for about 1.50 - 1.70 each. By this price, and needing about ten of them, I would spend $34.00 on the wood. I can buy it cheaper (I know I won't have the "experience.") When I was in school, we made one from rough pieces of cut wood and we had to sand and make it nice. I feel too much like I am cheating when I didn't cut the wood into strips to begin with, but the sanded and fixed up pieces is too much. I don't wan't a snap together model.
Where can I get the wood so that it isn't all fixed up for me (and I don't want to cut down any trees!)? Cost? Thanks.
For that kind of money Croffwood Mills will deliver 50 feet of 1x2 (.75x1.5) hard maple to your door. (HM-FP $26 plus shipping)
I don't have any vested interest in them but I have had good luck buying from them. croffwoodmills.com

(.75x1.5)
from
They didn't "fix it up" all sanded and everything did they? If 50ft. about what I should get? I know you may have just been giving an example.

This will be about 3 square feet of 1 1/2" thick cutting board. That is 2 or 3 nice ones.
This wood is very well manicured but trust me, if this is your first glue up project, you want it as clean as it can be. I still ended up sanding plenty. If you have a new jointer/planer you want to play with this is probably not what you want tho. If you are just using "carpenter tools" (like I have) this is your stuff.

(.75x1.5)
from
I found a place that would do
13/16'' 6'' 10'
$5.50 a board foot - hardwood maple
I think this is also 5 sq. ft.
Does one inch planed out really mean 13/16''?

The 3/4" from Croffwood is exactly 3/4". I assume 1" will be 1".

the traditional wood for cutting boards is hard maple with a mineral oil finish. look for local mills in your area. go to google archives and search the rec archives for suppliers in your area
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&group=rec.woodworking

I don't quite get your math here ??
Todd L

I need 20 of them.
20 * 1.5 = 30 or $30.00. I should have said ten of each kind of what I was going to get. I wanted the checker board effect, so I was going to get 10 maple and 10 something else.