Cutting a spiral pedestal on a table saw?

My wife's uncle was just describing a jig his son had that could cut a spiral shape on a pedestal using a table saw. It sounded to me like some sort of jig that would feed a piece of stock across the blade and use a shallow cove cut that would create a spiral by rotating the stock across the cove cut setup. Has anyone in this group seen such a jig? Does anyone have any information or plans for making one?

Thanks,

Kevin

Reply to
kevin

What youy are describing sounds very similar to this:

De Cristoforo's Complete Book of Power Tools Library of Congress Catalog Card Number 72-90935 SBN: 60-010999-8

See discussion of the rotojig pages 69 through 76 in the first section on Table Saws.

I constructed one of these jigs in the early eighties.The jig shown will accomodate a spindle diameter of 2.75 in. ( Assumptions: 10 in dia blade with a 3 in cut ). If you require a larger diameter, you could scale up the dimensions accordingly.

Reply to
Planes True

What youy are describing sounds very similar to this:

De Cristoforo's Complete Book of Power Tools Library of Congress Catalog Card Number 72-90935 SBN: 60-010999-8

See discussion of the rotojig pages 69 through 76 in the first section on Table Saws.

I constructed one of these jigs in the early eighties.The jig shown will accomodate a spindle diameter of 2.75 in. ( Assumptions: 10 in dia blade with a 3 in cut ). If you require a larger diameter, you could scale up the dimensions accordingly.

Reply to
Planes True

Thanks! I'll have to go down to our library and check it out!

Reply to
kevin

That book is very cheap:

AAvK

Well I just got my copy of De Cristoforo's book and while it is certainly a great addition to my collection of information on tools and jigs, the rotajig which is described in this book isn't exactly what I was hoping to find information on. You could conceptually use this jig to create a spiral on square or round stock, but the accuracy would be determined by how well you can manually control the rotation of you stock. From what my wife's uncle described to me the jig his son had (or maybe has?) had some sort of gear-driven mechanism that would accurately control the rotation of the stock over the tablesaw blade while doing a coping cut. I'll have to see if I can contact his son...

Thanks though for turning me onto this book. I'm glad to have it!

Kevin

Reply to
kevin

You are certainly welcome for the lead to this publication. I have used this book as reference for many jigs for more than twenty years. Every time I revisit this book, I must pause and remember our friend 'Chris'. Perhaps we shall never see again talent and ingenuity quite like he produced for almost 50 years.

I found the accuracy of the spiral cut to be acceptable for my purposes many years ago. I confess that originally built this jig for experimentation. But the three projects I can recall that I used this jig turned out nicely. The jig does allow self feeding of the stock being cut when the base of the jig is secured to a miter gauge and held stationary.

A accurate miter gauge is the key to this jig. Locking the miter gauge jig at an appropriate angle (to generate the spiral cut required) provides very a consistent spiral cut pattern.

As always, your results may very.

snipped-for-privacy@gearhardt.com wrote:

Reply to
Planes True

Are you sure it was used with a table saw and not a router. It sounds like the Craftsman Router Crafter.

I don't think Sears sells them any more. There are a number of Router Crafters for sale on ebay. Here's one:

no(SPAM)vasys

Try this out-

setup is for a router and a lathe, but I'd be willing to bet that you could adapt the pulley system for use with your saw with a little monkeying around.

Reply to
Prometheus