Cutting 4" off a formica worksurface

I have a very nice L-shaped worksurface that just misses by 2-3" fitting in the room where I am moving my home office. The surface is a wood-grain laminate on very think (1.75") particle board. I need 2-3" cut off one end and then the wood trim reapplied.
Back in June, I posted a query here as to who I should call to do this. Someone from the UK responded that I should call a "kitchen fitter". The room is now ready. I looked in the yellow pages under kitchens and there are quite a few ads for kitchen and bath remodelers.
I am in California (Palo Alto). Can anyone recommend someone who does good work and might be interested in this little adjustment project?
Is it possible for them to come to the house and do the work, or will I have to take the thing apart and take it in to their shop?
Thanks
--
Spam sink email address, sorry

A carbide blade in a circular saw will do a pretty good job of cutting it off but the problem is the top surface usually overlaps the side in a properly laminated counter. You put the side on and trim the top back to the side. I'm not sure how you could undercut the MDF without cutting the laminate. If you bevel cut the edge it might not be too obvious but you could have a water intrusion problem if this is going to be wet
On 14 Oct 2003 05:37:14 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comGreg (Gfretwell) wrote:

I don't think I want to tackle this myself. A previous poster said that the people who do this for a living have the right tools and can do a nice job. This is a very expensive set of furniture. I don't want to screw it up.
I am really hoping for some recommendations for craftsmen in the Palo Alto area.
Thanks
--
Spam sink email address, sorry

Bet your top looks like this:
http://www.WoodworkingTips.com/etips/etip022500wb.html
Top Spin wrote:

On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 14:45:04 GMT, Pat Barber

My top does not have a back splash.
--
Spam sink email address, sorry

Then all you need is a fence for your circular saw and a fine tooth blade, and you can cut it yourself, using the article mentioned as a guide.