CSMS More Accurate Than Radial Arm?

Would a good compound sliding miter saw be more accurate than my 10" Delta radial arm saw?

Reply to
Bill

Yes, if the Delta's adjustments wander anything like my DW 720 RAS.

Cheers

Frank

Reply to
Frank McVey

Depends on what you mean by "more accurate". I can see that cross cutting angles will be more accurate than on my RAS because they have much larger protractors and more fixed angle indents than my RAS. I don't see them more accurate at controlling the depth of cut as in dados and similar types of cuts. I also don't see them able to make the length of cut that my RAS is capable of, but certainly more than my poor chop saw can do. Nor can they do horizontal cuts for odd-ball joints, but who has much need for these.

In my opinion, both have their strengths and weaknesses. I have a RAS, a chop saw but not a SCMS. If I was buying now, I probably would buy a good SCMS, instead of a RAS, save some money, and live with its weaknesses (just as I live with the RAS's weaknesses now).

Reply to
Eric Tonks

"Eric Tonks" wrote

Aw, hell, buy both. That's why God invented credit cards!

;-) Glen

Reply to
Glen

After looking at the SCMS's more closely yesterday, I think I will keep my RAS. The SCMS's were almost as rigid, but not quite. Even if I made a bench with a tabletop, the tabletop would not be as large in front because the saw needs room to swing left and right. I also think that I would miss the wider crosscut capability. With a little work, I should be able to improve my RAS to be more accurate.

Thanks for the comments.

Bill

Eric T> Depends on what you mean by "more accurate". I can see that cross cutting

Reply to
Bill

Didn't he invent collection agencies and bankrupty laws also? :)

dave

Glen wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave