crowning bandsaw tires

Anyone have experience crowning new tires on a 36" bandsaw? Any suggestions on how to approach this task on such a large wheel?
Add pictures here
✖
"John Grossbohlin" wrote:

Think I'd try to find a rubber extrusioon with one side crowned and the other flat which could be attached to wheel.
Lew
Add pictures here
✖
On Jun 14, 9:21 pm, "John Grossbohlin"

Call Carter Guides they are experts in this field and will be able to guide you. Good Luck Mike
Add pictures here
✖

I may have lucked out... but don't know for sure yet as the saw is not readily available to me for inspection. I came across a reference that said that the manufacturer of the saw in question crowned the wheels on at least some of their saws. If that is true of this saw I'm good to go. I also found references to crowning tires using a disk sander with the wheel rotated against it using an angled jig... I could use my father's Shopsmith for that purpose. Failing the former I'll call Carter before trying the later!
Thanks,
John
Add pictures here
✖

Many BS tires are long strips of rubber glued onto the wheels. They have to be shaped after being glued. IIRC I saw something about attaching a piece of sand paper onto a block of wood and clamping that block of wood so that it rubs the tire. Then you spin the wheel by hand and gradually apply more pressure to the block of wood until the desired shape is obtained.
You might be able to find something on the subject at the www.lagoonatools.com site.
Add pictures here
✖
on 6/15/2009 8:17 AM (ET) Leon wrote the following:

Site "Not Found"
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

✖
willshak wrote:

www.LAGUNAtools.com
Add pictures here
✖

Yup, it's www.lagunatools.com
Add pictures here
✖
Go over to http://www.owwm.com /
There Many folks over there that have the larger bandsaws and are very familiar with that process.
John Grossbohlin wrote:

Add pictures here
✖

Thanks,
That's where I found the information on using a disk sander...!
John
Add pictures here
✖
Go over to http://www.owwm.com /
There Many folks over there that have the larger bandsaws and are very familiar with that process.
John Grossbohlin wrote:

Add pictures here
✖