Crosscut Saws

Page 3 of 3

Matt Parker wrote:

What you have in mind is called bucking. THe Garret Wade saw looks more like it is for crosscutting dimensional lumber, not thick logs regardless of what th etext says.
I bought a 4' replacement bow saw blade from a home center and made my own bucking (bow) saw out of wood. THe problem I have always had with the steel bow saws is that the frame isn't springy enough to keep the blade taught.
I'd suggest the crossctu saw from the crosscut saw company. I have had no experience iwth them, but they at least LOOk like the right kind of saw. I know a few people who hav ebought Garret Wade saws and they were not favorably impressed.
Best bet would be to buy an antique and tune it up.
Let us know what you choose and how it works.
--

FF

snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net wrote:

fashioned way they may still have a few of their pitsaw blades, no handles. They must be prepaid mail order. item description: 'PIT SAW BLADE, UNSHARPENED BLADE ONLY' They had at least one 0n 7 March of this year. Joe PS be careful if you decide to make the nitroglycerin;-)

Nah, I'm not sure I can convince my BIL to stand in the pit.
Most of these blowdowns are elm. Not just any elm, but really nasty, trashy elm. I probably won't even try to burn them for heat.

Actually, I already knew how to make nitroglcerin but have never felt the need. ANFO is better for tree stumps, or was before the OKC mess.
Matt
Matt Parker wrote:

useful. Might have even been quieter. Joe