Phaius hybrid and a couple other questions

Hello All! I hope this note finds you all in good health. I just brought a Phaius hybrid - Dan Rosenberg 'Mellow Yellow' - with a clonal name like that, who could resist? <g> ( off topic but I sorta seem to remember being at a concert in Philadelphia many years ago where Donovan opened for Yes) I'm going to go look up the care for this plant, but I remember reading Phaius are shade plants and my question is how shady? Shady like for African violets ... or shady like Paphs (that really need bright light without too much direct sun) ... or lots of bright light with morning sun? It's in a peat moss / bark mix. This is actually a rescue attempt ... I got it at a local supermarket, a left over from Valentine's Day.

Also, I have a Paph. hybrid, Maudiae type, and each new growth is higher than the last. Is this going to be a problem? The newer growths aren't putting out roots. Should I just repot at an angle?

I have an Onc. Twinkle that grows and flowers just fine, but I get a lot of spotting and tip dieback on the leaves. I'm not sure if it's a culture problem, like I'm doing wrong, or not. I grow on an eastern facing windowsill with about 50 other orchids and Tillandsia. I water as needed, no extra humidification, light handed with feeding. Thanks and have a great day! Bob Campoli - Philadelphia, Pa.

Reply to
bobc

I have several Phaius and grow them in very bright light with access to lots of water. I have one now in a 7 gal bucket that is producing 3 spikes over

6' tall and leaves over 2.5' long. During the summer I grow them right under the Vandas. I have a Phaiocalanthe that seems to like the same conditions but drier winter and flowering time. Gary
Reply to
V_coerulea

If you want to see an impressive display of phaius, take a trip to the Bok Sanctuary near Lake Wales, FL. They've got them in-ground by the thousands (OK, the did when I visited many years ago), and they're growing in dappled sunlight beneath the huge trees.

(Watch out for the squirrels.)

Reply to
Ray B

Have never grown the Dan Rosenburg hybrid, but Phaius tankervilliae did well for us in the ground, with morning Florida sun, for several years (until the triple hurricanes). Kenni

Reply to
Kenni Judd