Craftsman Quality?

Page 2 of 2

Yep. I'm not going to chime in about any Sears power tools, because I neither own nor use any, but when it comes to chisels, hand saws or tape measures, they almost always get my $$$. (Well, maybe not in the case of the tape measure- technically, I only bought one, but it's been exchanged many times over the years.)
Especially their black handled chisels.... if you haven't looked at them, I'd suggest doing so. They may not be as good as some million-dollar hand forged Japanese chisel made by a guy whose family forged samuri swords for a thousand years, but they're awfully nice for anyone with realistic expectations- they'll shave your arm hair after a few passes on an oil stone, and they've got a lot of steel on them for the money. They hold that sharp edge pretty well, too.
Prometheus wrote:

I too have a shop full of Craftsman hand, portable power, and stationary power tools. Most of them are old and all are pretty good. Some of them I can remember buying as far back as the 1960's. Some of them I inherited from my father. With reluctance, I have come to the conclusion that the current Craftsman stuff is of uneven quality. Some of it is OK, some of it is not, and it is difficult to tell one from the other while standing in the aisle at Sears. So I don't buy much Craftsman stuff anymore. Perhaps this is why Kmart bought Sears rather than the other way round. There are a few things still going for Sears. The "if it breaks we'll give you a new one" guarantee still works far as I know. And you can get parts for old Craftsman stuff. I was pleasantly surprised to be able to order a replacement speed control assembly for a 20 year old variable speed drill and receive it, snail mail, inside of three days. And it fit. The Sears website has customer written reviews of tools. You can read some very harsh reviews there. As far as that computer driven milling/carving machine for $2k, I'd worry that it would not be rugged enough to last, or that it would not be accurate enough to be worthwhile. I'd wait a year and see if it is still offered for sale. And wait for a review in the magazines.
David Starr

For Christmas this year I (take a deep breath) asked for a Craftsman combination wrench set. In metric sizes. Yeah, Santa brought one. They look as nice as the inch size ones I bought 30 years ago.
Sorry to hear about the hand screw problem. Maybe you should go back with it and talk to a different rep.

I think the same, but nowadays I'll usually choose Husky or Cobalt over Craftsman, simply because Lowes and HD better to deal with locally than Sears. Coastal Tool also carries SK, for another option over Craftsman.
My local Sears and Sears Hardware stores are the worst run retail operations on the planet. They truly suck! How they stay in business baffles me, as I never see anyone buying anything. I really wonder who does their hiring.
I recently needed some large open-end wrenches to install a BS riser block, and Sears Hardware (Wallingford, CT) was the only local store to have cheap versions. So, for the first time in over a year, I had to go there. The stores employees truly act like they wish you didn't even come into the store. The wrenches are under lock and key, so it took me _35 minutes_ and 3 polite requests to get a keyholder to give me the wrenches. I was one of two customers in the store, there were 6-8 employees milling about.
Oddly enough, the $60 wrench set, stored securely under lock and key, had a security device in the package. The device went off as I exited the store, because the cashier was too distracted with her personal tale of woe on her cell phone to disengage the device. I was simply waved on... <G>
Too much gadetry. I wouldn't have that thing from any manufacturer. Where's the fun in being at the mercy of yet another computer? Wilson

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&pid921754000

Well for better or worse the decision was made for me. It only comes in a 110 volts Australia has 220-240v as standard throughout.
Mekon
Mekon wrote:
> Well for better or worse the decision was made for me. It only comes in a > 110 volts Australia has 220-240v as standard throughout.
Doesn't OZ also operate on 50HZ?
Lew

Yep, that sounds about right...
Mekon

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&pid921754000
Once upon a time, Sears sold mechandise that had slightly above average quality for a slightly below average price. They abandoned this practice some time ago.
They have changed all of their lines to be about average (or slightly below average) in quality but for about average (or slightly above average) prices (not just Craftsman). While times may be changing at Sears, they will find that it is lots easier to lose customers than it is to get them back.
Jim
Thanks all.
:)
Mekon
Mekon wrote: | Thanks all. | | :) | | Mekon
Before you leave, let me encourage you to at least think about building your own machine. It's not as difficult as you might expect.
I just realized that everything in the machine I built (including the stepper motors) runs on 48V (or less) DC - for use in Oz, I'd just change out the step-down transformer...
...hmm, might be able to do something like that with the machine you were looking at.

Yes and No.
Yes: The C*man router I was given for Christmas many years ago was unusable. Between the "Random Height Adjustment" and the "Poly-axular Angle Adjustment" features it was less accurate than I was, just a few hours into the WW hobby. By contrast, I used my Delta bench saw for over a year before I upgraded to a Grizzly contractor saw.
No: I have a lot of Craftsman hand tools, screwdrivers and the like, some more than 20 years old. I've never had problems exchanging worn out, lifetime warrantee Craftsman tools. If I hit the Lotto I am gonna buy the 25,000 piece Craftsman tool set. ;-)
-- Mark
Mark Jerde wrote:
> If I hit the Lotto I am gonna buy the > 25,000 piece Craftsman tool set. ;-)
WHAT ! ! !
You mean no SnapOn<G>
Lew

25,000 pieces fron Snap On you would need to hit the Lotto twice.

Larry Wasserman - Baltimore Maryland - snipped-for-privacy@charm.net

Snip
You do realize that the 25,000 piece tool set will have 20,000 hack saw blades, 3,000 Allen wrenches, and 1,000 ignition wrenches. ;~)

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&pid921754000
Craftsman, like any other manufacturer builds good stuff and bad stuff. Craftsman has it's stinkers and so does every one else. Being a relatively new concept in scale I would be leery of this tool even if it had a better brand name badge on it.