Counter Sink Bit

Page 2 of 2
On 1/7/2014 12:59 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:

Well you got me there Scott. I just pulled it out of my ass.
--
Jeff

On 1/7/14, 11:39 AM, woodchucker wrote:

All of you just stop already.
The guy meant "straight shank" screw. He said drywall screw but obviously was talking about straight vs. tapered and used a lousy example.
And you, quit digging the whole deeper. Just admit you used poor wording when using drywall screw as an example of a straight shank screw. Because anyone who uses a drywall screw in woodworking is using very poor judgment. Drywall screws are for drywall and are way to brittle for woodworking.
--

-MIKE-

On 1/7/2014 12:35 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

LOL, thank you Mike. Exactly the point I was trying to clarify.
On 1/7/2014 11:39 AM, woodchucker wrote:

My biggest question was with your original comment of most of us using dry wall screws. I'm not doubting that probably most of us don't use the tapered wood screw but until you later clarified a dry wall "type" screw and referring to the shape of the screw, I was not so sure.
On 1/7/2014 2:43 PM, Leon wrote:

You have to realize that our straight shank screws came from drywall. The screws for furniture were stil tapered. Way more screws are used for drywall than furniture, so it is the technology from the drywall screw that drove the other wood threaded types of fasteners... the threads being much sharper , deeper, and less prone to splitting. The old taper had the problem of splitting wood often. If you didn't drill with a tapered bit to the correct depth you wound up with a split from too short a pilot hole, or too loose a screw since the taper was too wide because you drove it too deep.
I still occasionally use a tapered screw, but I prefer not to.
--
Jeff

On 1/7/2014 1:51 PM, woodchucker wrote:

OK, you are missing my point. You did not originally mention screws that resembled dry wall screws, you mentioned specifically drywall screws. After I took exception that most of us use drywall screws you changed your comment to dry wall "like". That i some what agree on, although.....
Dry wall screws specifically are much too brittle and small in diameter to be acceptable for furniture building. This is the point I was trying to make.
I am going to assume dry wall and or the drywall screws were not around in the 1800's.
Having said that straight shank gimlet point screws were patented as early as 1846 by the Eagle Screw Company.
So perhaps today's straight shank screws did not come from drywall.
On 1/7/14, 3:11 PM, Leon wrote:

So correct.... but he kept digging anyway. :-)
--

-MIKE-

On 1/7/2014 5:09 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

Not really, it's not the straight shank alone, it's the rolled threads that made the straight shank really workable. it's got more strength and is really the big deal.
But fine if you want to say I am a total idiot and didn't know what I was referring to, I have no problem.
--
Jeff

On 1/7/14, 1:51 PM, woodchucker wrote:

I tried to help you out of that hole, but you kept digging. Want another shovel? :-p
--

-MIKE-

On 1/7/2014 11:01 AM, woodchucker wrote:

My concern was with using drywall screws for woodworking. I used dry wall screws back in the early 80's and then discovered, for woodworking, that they were an improvement over the cheesy screws you find at the local BORG but lacked in strength and size for furniture building.

I use drywall screws for drywall, but wood no I do not them use as they rust and break.
Mark
"Markem" wrote:

----------------------------------------------------- SFWIW
Use coarse thread deck screws for temporary structures such as mockups.
Use S/S, coarse thread self tapping sheet metal screws for fiberglass assemblies and furniture applications.
Since only a few sizes are req'd, buying 100 pc boxes is not a problem and helps keep costs in line.
Fine thread dry wall screws stay on the shelf at Home depot.
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote:

---------------------------------------------- "Mike Marlow" wrote:

-------------------------------------------- Lew Hodgett wrote:
They are.
Check out 1-5/8", coarse thread pricing. --------------------------------------------- Lew Hodgett wrote:

------------------------------------------------ "Mike Marlow" wrote:

------------------------------------------------ Lew Hodgett wrote:
It's not worth stocking both S/S for marine and non S/S fasteners for furniture. ----------------------------------------------- Lew Hodgett wrote:

"Mike Marlow" wrote:

Lew
Pat Barber wrote:

Thank you! This thread has suggested a range of tools and possibilities with counter sink bits. I found it really interesting.
Bill
Would be looking at M.A. Ford single flute. They're self centering, up to 1", many angles, clear the chip without fanfare, but not cheap. But not a 2-eleven in progress either. Examples =
http://patwarner.com/images/tsweb4767.jpg
More on drilling tools? http://patwarner.com/drilling_tools.html