Corner Cab - work in progress

I'm looking at the picture of the door frames. Based on the chalked triangles, I assume the rails from each door were ripped from the same piece. Is this to match the grain? Did you consider ripping the two center rail from the same piece instead? The center rails are next to each other where the grain match would be more apparent. The whole cabinet looks great BTW. What finish will you use?

Reply to
MB

"MB" wrote

Sorry, I'm confused re "center rails" ... do you mean stiles? The outer face frame stiles of each door was picked to match the grain of the face frame of the actual cabinet, not the door. (watch that camera flash, it plays tricks at an angle).

Stiles were aactually picked primarily for their straightness/flatness, which in the case of doors can be more important that a strict grain match ... nice if you can get it, but a secondary consideration when the wood stash of stock milled in the same batch is getting low.

Thanks ... "Mission Oak" stain (made for Rockler by the Lawrence-McFadden Co, one of the best stains MFGR's around) and an amber shellac top coat, purposely to match other pieces in the same room/suite of furniture.

Reply to
Swingman

Wed, Dec 5, 2007, 11:39am (EST-1) snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com (Swingman) doth sayeth: Working on a personal project

Pretty damn spiffy. But I've looked at it over and over and still can't fibure anything triangular to put in it. Just in case you don't know, Wllly World caries Rubber Ducky Yellow paint. Hehehe

JOAT Even Popeye didn't eat his spinach until he had to.

Reply to
J T

And you forgot the most important part Leon. That's the buying of some new tool you've had your eye on.

(How's the Domino working btw?) :)

Reply to
Upscale

It's working great. I am currently working on a couple of jewelry chests using multiple thickness pieces. I ended up buying s4s maple for this project and needed to glue up panels with minimal slipping between the panels and needed to end up with 3/4" thickness and 1/2" when done. I used the Domino more for alignment purposes during the panel glue up. I may have had to remove 1/64" to flatten the panels after the glue up and that worked out just fine.

Reply to
Leon

Starting to look like the CAD drawing. The doors are finally fitted ... the requested close-ups of the top door rails/cove molding are at the bottom of the page.

Swingman