Cordless Eggbeater Drill

Page 1 of 2
All this talk of cordless and corded drills. I miss my old eggbeater drill. A former room mate decided it was his. I had been thinking about getting one since I need one once in a great while. But mostly for nostalgia. A useful item mind you, just probably not essential.
Well, today I am helping to install some wiring in a small home studio. I needed to drill some pilot holes. He had no drill and I brought in my cordless makita and found both batteries dead. I forgot to recharge them after the last job. I can't complain too much since the batteries usually stay charged till the job is done. But the drill don't work too good without a charged battery.
So I needed an eggbeater drill. I found a modern, plastic covered version at the Ace Hardware down the street. I thought it looked ugly and I wouldn't have bought it unless I needed it today.
I just didn't feel right holding a pistol grip eggbeater drill. But it holds up to a 1/4' drilll in in its chuck. It is a little awkward to tighten the chuck. But amazingly, it worked like a champ. It made all my pilot holes quickly and easily. It drilled through both soft and hard material without any problem. In fact the biggest problem I had was that it worked a little too good and I could easliy punch through the material. I needed to drill slowly and carefully to stay in the material.
So I got a new cordless drill today. And I never have to worry about batteries with this thing. I am going to keep it in the house for odd jobs.
And both batteries are charged now.

I've had one of those for 20 years or so. It is a great little drill. No Noise. As you say, it is a little awkward tightening the chuck. I capture the crank handle between the forefinger and thumb of my left hand - right into the web - and clasp the butt betwwen the other three fingers and the palm. Then tighten the chuck with my right hand. Mine is a bright yellow Screwball. The barrel is grooved to hold bits with an inner tube strength rubber band. Very handy and very light weight.

Lee,
I've got an old one plus 2 of the really old crank types, but the kind I really find usefull is the push type. They work lik a Yankee Screwdriver. You push the handle and the drill bit turns. The bits are in the handle. Just great for drilling a bunch of pilot holes quickly.
On 4/19/2010 6:26 AM, burtwitlin wrote:

I would kind of like to have an old fashioned Yankee Drill. My father was a carpenter and we always had one around the house. They were really handy for pilot holes. You just put in the appropriate bit, then pumped the handle a few times and there it was.
Hmm, I hadn't thought, but maybe Google would help me. Well, there are a bunch of listings, but checking Amazon they are out and don't know if they will get any more. I bet if I look around I can find one.
Bill

They're all over eBay. Stanley's lineup included the 41 and 45. I like the 45 as it fits the hand better - looks better, too!
Bill Gill wrote:

http://www.garrettwade.com/product.asp?pniP01.01&bhcd2 71686930
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Nice. And their version of the eggbeater drill. (A lower cost version than the Lee Valley model)
http://www.garrettwade.com/a-real-solid-hand-drill/p/89B04.01 /
On 4/19/2010 8:11 AM, Bill Gill wrote:

Search "Yankee Push Drill" or "Stanley Push Drill" on eBay and you'll find quite a number of them. Everything from the bit sets themselves to the whole thing. Not too badly priced either.
There's a No. 41 with 7 bits, 99% of the finish intact for $25 Buy it Now and $5 shipping.
I'd jump on it myself if I didn't already have one in the shop. Handy buggers.
Do you have any advice as to how to sharpen the bits? I have a push drill, I don't think it's a Stanley, but I've snapped the smallest bit, and some of the bigger ones don't cut as fast.
I'm pretty sure my Drill Doctor won't sharpen these very well. :-)

On Mon, 19 Apr 2010 08:11:36 -0500, Bill Gill wrote:

There are Stanleys all over Ebay, but try to find a Goodell-Pratt if you can. The G-P has, IMNSHO, much more convenient bit storage. But make sure it has a full set of bits, they're easy to sharpen but hard to find.

Hey, kid! You'll put your eye out with that thing!

I don't know why I didn't think of that. Back in the day, I had several yankee screwdrivers. They were the original cordless screwdrivers. I am fairly certain that they were not available yesterday when I needed something fast.
i had a friend who was getting a masters degree in fine arts (drama). They used the yankee screwdrivers to build and break down all the sets for his stage productions.
"Robatoy" wrote
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=1&p2294&cat=1,180,42337&ap=1 =========== <drool>
A little more than I wanted to spend. But ocviously a nice one.

If you have a little more room to swing, and some more cash, then you'll probably have some more drool.
http://www.bridgecitytools.com/Products/Commemorative+Tools/CT-16+Palm+Brace

If you have a little more room to swing, and some more cash, then you'll probably have some more drool.
http://www.bridgecitytools.com/Products/Commemorative+Tools/CT-16+Palm+Brace
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- And dozens of the originals cropping up on eBay for far less an outlay ...
On 4/19/2010 8:11 PM, LDosser wrote:

Looking at their prices, there's no drool at all. Some of their stuff is at a level where you can almost buy the machine shop to make it for the price of the tool. They're clearly aiming at a sucker market and not at people who are buying tools to do work.

Yep. They used to be not quite so bad, but over the last 15 or so years it's become outrageous. Definitely the display cabinet market. That said, I do own three of their tools. A combination square bought at a charity auction , a blem 7" bevel picked up in their shop, and a new in open box BV-1 that I got for $40 including shipping on eBay.
http://www.bridgecitytools.com/Products/Vises/BV-1+Bench+Vise
Great for some of the small stuff I play with!
On 4/19/2010 10:16 PM, LDosser wrote:

40 bucks is about the right price for that. I can't believe they're asking almost 200 bucks for a glorified Panavise.
"J. Clarke" wrote:

----------------------------------------- First saw a Panavise in the early '60s.
Still have one in it's box, buried in a desk drawer someplace.
Lew

It is very well made and designed.