Corded drill died, recommendations sought

Page 1 of 2
My corded portable drill died the other day, with a horrible grinding noise. My first thought was a disintregrating bearing, but disassembly showed numerous missing teeth on the final drive gear. I bought it about ten or twelve years ago, and I've *definitely* gotten my money's worth out of it. It wasn't real expensive to begin with, so replacement seems to be more practical than attempting to repair it (if parts are even available).
I have a Bosch cordless that I'm real happy with, but it's nice to have the higher torque and unlimited power supply of a corded drill sometimes. I also figure that you can't have too many drills... so it's time to buy a replacement. My primary uses for a corded drill are home repair or remodeling applications such as boring holes through floors or joists, running hole saws, and occasional drilling of masonry for anchors.
Any recommendations from the group, either WRT what to buy, or what to avoid, would be greatly appreciated.
Millwaukee imo, have the best corded drills. I have a few. All have more than enough power, and are very rugged. The trigger allows smooth, linear application of power.

I was going to suggest that the 3/8" Milwaukee I bought at the pawn shop for home and the 1/2" Milwaukee bought at Borg for work have always done the job. Real substantial drills that appear that it would take a lot to destroy.

"Doug Miller" wrote in message

After some research I replaced my 30 year old 3/8" B&D hammer drill last year with a Milwaukee, 1/2" "Heavy Duty". So far so good, although It doesn't get much use these days with the DeWalt 18v cordless/primecell rebuilt batteries getting the majority of the work.
If they're still made by the same company in the same locations as last year, I'd think a Milwaukee would be something you'd want to check out.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/04/04

While my corded drill is a 14 yeas old DeWalt that has serve me well, I may switch to Milwaukee when the time comes.
"Leon" wrote in message

I'm maybe all wet, but didn't Charlie Self do a magazine review of corded drills within the last year or two?
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/04/04

I think there was something like that IIRC Bay Area Dave got into a discussion regarding the difference between a hand drill and a portable electric drill.
So have you been busy Swingman? I should be designing a small entertainment center right now. I have been overwhelmed with work since September.
"Leon" wrote in message

Just poured the foundation on a new housing start and dealing with the various screwups of architects, engineers and material suppliers, while trying to stay in budget is enough to make me cry uncle at this point.
I'd rather be woodworking ... but I'll soon have enough of that when I start on the kitchen cabinets for this one. I'll probably hire a couple of day laborers to help me as I am not getting any younger and it makes me tired to think about it.
However, the property tax bills are coming in, so at least some extra incentive is there. :(
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/04/04
On Thu, 04 Nov 2004 12:49:43 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

Do you use SDS drills over in the US ?

anyway.
snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com says...

Bosch invented SDS and hold the trademark, but many others license them. Forget hammer drills - try an SDS and see what drilling concrete is really about.
Most hammer drills are rotary drills, with a cam mechanism to add some hammering. An SDS drill is a hammer acting directly on the drill bit, with some optional rotation to clear the waste. Although they're often electrically small, their "drilling ability" is hugely increased. There isn't a chuck as such, the drill bits all have a standard shank with splines cut into it and are held in a retainer that allows them to slide back and forth while hammering.
You can also switch rotation off completely, which allows them to be used with chisels, breaker points and cable chasing spoons. I've even got wood chisels for mine 8-)
Cheap SDS drills are now around, right down to the bottom end. Mine was a $300 AEG though, still one of the most useful tools I've bought, as value per pound. This one also has an interchangeable "normal" chuck and has a second speed range that's fast enough for drilling small holes in steel. At slow speed with the hammer off, I can also core drill. With this I can carry a single drill on-site and know that I can drill _anything_ I might meet.
--
Smert' spamionam

SDS is a type of bit mounting used on large hammer drills and rotary hammers. It's the standard for that type of tool.
GTO(John)
Doug Miller wrote:

Doug...
Last year I bought a ~$30 corded VSR drill from HF that's held up well for me.
I liked the price; but the primary reason for choosing it was its 2500+ RPM top speed - which made for much "cleaner" holes when used with a Kreg jig.
My only reservation has been that the foreward/reverse selector lever seems a bit on the flimsy side - not much of a problem since I only ever drive the step bit in the foreward direction. (-:
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto, Iowa USA
On Thu, 04 Nov 2004 12:49:43 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

I will anticipate a flame here, but I'm very happy with my 3 year old craftsman 3/8" drill.... the only problem that I've had with it is when a neighbor used channel locks on it because he didn't understand a keyless chuck, and when I took it in to sears (to see about buying a new chuck) the exchanged the whole drill!
My guess is that it's made by B&D or Skill, or whoever makes tools for them..
<<snippage about dead corded drill>>

Doug...
...others have mentioned Milwaukee and they are fine drills, but I've had very good luck with my 3/8" Porter-Cable and if you want a hammer drill, I've got a Bosch that I'm quite happy with. I do not have any of the red brand, but I've used them and, to my mind, aren't quite better enough than the PC to be worth the extra money.
Just my $.05...accounting for inflation, don't ya know!
Mike
I bought a 14v Makita so long ago I can't remember. However, it was purchased at a Builder's Square liquidation if that dates it (8-10 years). The drill looks like an old beat-up stock-car but runs well. Problem is the batteries are about gone and I don't think I can economically replace them without buying a set.
I was looking at the newer Makita in the store and it surprising looks a lot like mine. Based on my experience I would certainly recommend the brand.
"RonB" wrote in message

Chances are you can: www.primecell.com
If they're anything like the batteries I've sent in, they come back stronger and with more depth then when brand new.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/04/04

I'm not sure that Makita corded drills are anywhere near the cordless ones. For my money - Milwaukee.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@sprintmail.com