Converting contractor's table saw

Some while back I read (and saved but can't find) an article about converting a contractor's table saw (open legs) to a cabinet saw. The aim is to be able to do dust collection. These were detailed instructions on building a wooden surround around the body of the saw. It also had hinged compartments so you could still access the outboard electric motor, etc.
Does anybody remember seeing this article and in what publications?
Thanks
Ivan Vegvary
On 9/17/2012 12:07 AM, Ivan Vegvary wrote:

a contractor's table saw (open legs) to a cabinet saw. The aim is to be able to do dust collection. These were detailed instructions on building a wooden surround around the body of the saw. It also had hinged compartments so you could still access the outboard electric motor, etc.

Can't help with the article you want, but, my suggestion is to build build a suitable bench for the saw, and jointer if you have one. Remove the legs from the saw and put saw on bench. Cut a hole in top of bench and attach a 4" rubber roof vent jack for dust collection and make a ply plate for the back of saw where the belt goes.
Here are some pictures of what I did:
http://tinyurl.com/9me2w3j
--
Jack

When I did it, I cut 1/4" ply to fit and bolted it to the legs. Hinged a bottom for cleanout and installed a port on it.
No plans, no publication. Simple.
--
I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I
like fishing because its the one thing I can think of that probably doesnt.

I encourage my kids to make mistakes. They learn from it.
When I was still management at the newspaper I was pushing for failures to be part of the annual performance review on the premise that if you hadn't failed at SOMETHING you really weren't trying.
The owners couldn't wrap their heads around the concept.
--
I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I
like fishing because its the one thing I can think of that probably doesnt.

learn what it can and can't do. Where I went to a financial... they don't have sandboxes... meaning a system to experiment on. But you are expected to be perfect all the time... again shortsighted. But typical management.
Dave Balderstone wrote:

What's the difference between an Oriental and an Occidental?
An Occidental learns from his mistakes.
An Oriental learns from the mistakes of others.
It's less expensive.
Lew
On Mon, 17 Sep 2012 18:27:05 -0700, "Lew Hodgett"

Certainly in the long run, but I agree with the statement that if you've never made any mistakes on your own, then you are not trying hard enough.
says...

Typical American management, which is one reason that the Japanese and Chinese are eating our lunch. They try all kinds of weird stuff--if it doesn't sell they try something else. Example was Sony and PDAs. The licensed the Palm Pilot technology, made a line of handhelds based on that technology that were like the Palm Pilot had died and gone to heaven, they didn't sell well, Sony dumped the whole line and moved on to other things. The VCR was a gamble that American business wasn't willing to take--Ampex could have been making something similar from the late '60s on, but they couldn't get their heads around the concept that something cheap and not broadcast-quality would sell to a mass market.
A couple of kids in Hong Kong built a large business just buying weird stuff in the local stores and selling it online.

The people involved are not American, and do not reside or do business in the USA.
--
I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I
like fishing because its the one thing I can think of that probably doesnt.
dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderstone.ca says...

So we exported the culture.

yeah... How's that working out for you? At least here our governments aren't drowning in debt.
--
I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I
like fishing because its the one thing I can think of that probably doesnt.
dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderstone.ca says...

I didn't say it was working, you idiot.

I couldn't remember why I KF'd you, so I turned the filter off. Now I recall.
Back in the box...
--

On 9/16/2012 9:07 PM, Ivan Vegvary wrote:

a contractor's table saw (open legs) to a cabinet saw. The aim is to be able to do dust collection. These were detailed instructions on building a wooden surround around the body of the saw. It also had hinged compartments so you could still access the outboard electric motor, etc.

Most of the woodworking magazines have all covered that ground several times.
Look at the Wood magazine site as well as Fine Woodworking and all the rest of the regular suspects. American Woodworker was formally a great magazine but that is no longer the case, but you might get lucky and find a decent article.
Wood magazine did a major article on this very subject several years ago.