Convert *.skf file

I have an SKF file generated with Autosketch [ probably years ago!] I want to convert the file to DXF format, to use it with some other CAD system. Can't find a converter program, can any one help, pulease!!?? John Hewitt, Malaga, Spain

snipped-for-privacy@arrakis.es wrote:

Vectorworks 12.5 has a plug-in that does just that.
On Tue, 13 Mar 2007 18:22:19 +0100, snipped-for-privacy@arrakis.es wrote:

A quick Google search seems to indicate that only AutoSketch can read/convert the .skf file. There are even forum postings from AutoCAD users asking for a way to read the files...
John
Er, well yes. Hence the posting.

John Hewitt, Malaga, Spain

I use AutoSketch9 and providing you can e-mail (not the addy that shows here) it, it may be possible to open and save/convert it and e-mail it back to you.
Reply back if that is in your plans.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/20/07

Quick question: I have AD 8, and use it about twice a year. Is AD 9 any better? Are the "improvements" real or PR, in other words? I've got a need for some drawings coming up in a few weeks and would like something more efficient, but no more costly.
"Charlie Self" wrote in message

I probably can't help you much with that question. Is AD the same as AutoSketch?
All I know about the AutoDesk products is that somehow AutoSketch9 is the _exact_ same program as QuickCAD, which was discontinued and the two somehow morphed??
I used QuickCAD for some time and can see no difference in the two program interface or functionality, although they may be different under the hood.
Leon says that he used the DOS version of AutoSketch, but I never used it until I was forced to move/upgrade from QuickCAD.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/20/07

I also used AutoSketch 2.0 and 2.1 for Windows. These two versions were what AutoCAD LT for Windows looked like when if first appeared as a for Windows program IIRC in 1996-1997. Any way the 2.1 version has Direct Distance Entry, a very useful command for drawing lines to an exact length and direction when the line is created. I think AutoSketch may have lost some of its power somewhere along the line so as not to compete with AutoCAD LT. IIRC AutoSketch was called Sketch before Autodesk acquired it.
wrote in message

Charley look at Intellicad. It is an AutoCAD clone and can be had for about the same price as AutoSketch.
Yes, I'd like to do that. The file is appx 500K, generated / acessed last in the year 2000. Understand yr caution re email address - and it's validity. Likewise here. How do we get together?

John Hewitt, Malaga, Spain

Go to www.wildriverband.com; Click on the e-mail link; send e-mail using your real address. I'll get a cc of that and respond with my personal e-mail where size is no problem.
Let me know if you have any problems or don't hear back in a reasonable time.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/20/07
snipped-for-privacy@arrakis.es wrote:

I just spent far too much time on Google. I did run across this possibilty:
"DWG Support: Because AutoSketch drawings are DWG format compatible, you can create and view AutoCAD drawings for enhanced collaboration with colleagues and clients." http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID 3112&idD52477
So there would seem to be the possibility that a DWG to DXF converter (there are at least 100 of 'em) could do the trick for you.
There is also this possibility: "If you need to convert older CAD files from the DOS or Windows version of AutoSketch (.SKD) to the AutoCAD format (.DWG), you can use the free "conversion" version of the AutoSketch applications - AutoSketch 2.1fc. This version contains only functions for opening and saving drawings.
AutoSketch 2.1fc is available for download on www.xanadu.cz/download." http://www.cadforum.cz/cadforum_en/qaID.asp?tipR99
Hope this helps. The information I am encountering seems to suggest that the correct data file extension is SKD, rather than SKF. When I searched again using SKD, I got much better results.
So ... it looks like two possibilities for the moment. I might also suggest renaming the extension from SKD to DWG to see if your Autocad program will read them directly. It costs nothing to try.
Bill
is worth (much) unless backed up with enough genuine information to make

SKD is the older AutoSketch file format. There was more than one. 2.1 for certain used SKD. AutoSketch evolved or rather devolved in the recent past years. The latest programs are no where near as powerful as the 2.1 version. IIRC the current version evolved from Quick Cad. The earlier versions evolved from Sketch, a non AutoDesk product. There was very little difference between AutoSketch 2.1 and AutoCAD LT for wondows back in those days.
Leon wrote:

I haven't used Autocad in MANY years (v 8? 9?) and I never was any good with it, but that free program MIGHT convert a range of formats, not just the one. For no money, it seems worth a look-see.
I don't have a drawing to try it with and I'm busier than a one-armed paper hanger at the moment (actually, not 'busy' ... just bogged down in my own software problems) so I won't be trying it out.
Bill
is worth a **** unless backed up with enough genuine information to make

Thanks for the reply and the help. No, the file is definitely an .SKF file generated by Autosketch. I dloaded the converter from www.xanadu.cz/download but it would not recognize the SKF file format. Tried changing the extension, with the same result.
Looked at two DWG to DXF converters, they just upchuck on SKF files.
Did another Google search, found the data you printed above, and noted that SKF _is_ a valid file format, that came about after a version change to AutoSketch. It made files generated by later versions of Autosketch, incompatible with earlier versions - great, Eh?
So I still have a SKF file that I can't convert to DXF format. Wouldn't get excited, but for the fact that it depicts the lawn watering system I installed here - I'd like to keep the record.
Thanks for your help Bill. John Hewitt, Malaga, Spain

snipped-for-privacy@arrakis.es wrote:

Sounds like the best next move would be to track down a copy of that version of Autosketch. And NEVER turn loose of it again. ;-)
Some years ago I had a file corrupt in an ancient version of a database that I was still using. Could not get the company to part with that single file (which would not have worked if I didn't already own the rest of the program) despite the fact that I definitely had a legal copy to work from.
So I hit their users forum. Mebbe 72 hours later I was back in business.