Connect Unisaw to Dryer Outlet

Page 4 of 4

Jim Jacobs wrote:

just changed the the 4-prong receptacle in the dryer outlet to a 3-prong 20 amp style. Worked like a champ. When I moved, I put the 4-prong receptacle back in the box. As I remember, the circuit was rated at 30 amps.
Dave Vermilyea
Typically MIG welders use a different plug,; there are about four common types which are not interchanable with any of the myriad of standard dryer receptacles. Mark

Typically a dryer will draw more amperage than a table saw. Checking the wiring is a good odea, but 8 G and 40 amps to support an electric dryer would not be uncommon. Since we don't know the table saw specs it makes speculation a little more difficult. My contractors saw is 220 and draws about 12 amps over 10 gauge with a 20 Amp breaker...more than sufficient. Even if he has 10 G wiring and 30 amp breaker which should be minimal at best for an electric dryer, this should support any common cabinet saw. I have no problem wiring, but given the situation, I'd hire an electrician to add the circuit. Chances are the panel is in or near the garage - should be an easy run. Mark