Dryer Duct Outlet

Hi all

Something that has been puzzling me about new kitchen design:

Do all dryers have the duct outlet at the same height and relative position? Obviously it will be necessary for me to core drill a hole for the vent and I was wondering whether the position of the outlet varied from machine to machine. Bad news if you have to core drill a different outlet every time you get a new dryer - make the wall like swiss cheese! There wouldn't appear to be room to make up any offset with flexi duct.

TIA

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

On Mon, 15 May 2006 09:32:42 +0100, TheScullster wrote (in article ):

Buy a Miele

This has three advantages

- Excellent machines and customer service

- 15-20 year lifetime and 5 or 10 year warranty

- Outlets on sides and rear

Problem solved

Reply to
Andy Hall

I changed mine a few years ago, the new one vented in a completely different place. Fortunately there was /just/ enough room for a hose, because the space was wide enough to relocate the machine a couple of inches along the wall.

Reply to
<me9

Dont' think so. Of the two dryers I've had they have both been vented in a different place.

Reply to
Mark Hewitt

The message from Andy Hall contains these words:

The other solution is a condensor drier.

They are often slated for being less efficient, but I'm not sure that's entirely fair. True, they use more kWh per load, but if like us you only use them on cold days when the heating's probably on anyway you save the heat going out of the house. Vented driers always throw most of the heat away, condensor driers always keep very nearly all the heat in the house.

Reply to
Guy King

They probably dry at a lower temerature or at least have that option so less damage to clothes.

Reply to
marvelus

You can do it much easier (and cheaper) than that.

If you look around you should be able to get a through-wall fitting kit, which includes a round to square converter to go on the inside wall, a rectangular duct roughly half a brick in section, and an external louvred cover.

All you have to do is measure carefully, chop out half a brick on the outside, use a long masonry drill to mark the 4 corners, then chop out inside. I didn't even need to make good the plaster, the interior plate easily covered everything.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

And, provide a source of condensate (no limescale) water that's ideal for steam irons, plants, car wind-screen washers etc. etc.

We bought one to replace the fifteen-year old (knackered) drier: - I wish we'd done it years ago!

Reply to
Brian Sharrock

Condenser dryers don't have a duct at all.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar