CONCEALED DOOR

I've been looking for a way to put a few things out of sight. Don't need to lock them up or anything, but didn't want hinges in view, or a handle to open it. Just wanted them out of casual sight, but easy, and quick, to access.

Been doing google and all that, but nothing made me happy. If you use somethat that locks, you need a key, which can be misplaced, lost, or not readily availablt at the time. A magnetic catch, using a magnet to releast a catch, same.

Then yesterday I thought of the perfect solution. A panel that form fits, held in place with magnets, probably rare earth magnets, because if someone bumps into it, I wouldn't want it dislodging. Then have a small piece that looks like a piece of decoration, but sticks out far enough to pull the panel loose, and set aside. Viola, just what I wanted.

I got the idea from the door to give access to my furnace. It is hinged, with the hinges showing, but there's no handle or doorknob, so people aren't apt to open it. Instead, there's a slight gap at the bottom of the door, where I can slip my fingers under, and pull the door open. It's held shut with a pretty strong magnet, so I have to be sure I don't leave the door just cracked open, and turn around, because the door is apt to be sucked shut by the magnet, so I have to be sure to open it all the way.

If I was planning on storing the Hope Diamond, or some other baubles, I would want something with some sort of a lock, at a minimum. But, I'm not, so "out of sight, out of mind", will work.

JOAT Yes, it's my truck. No, I won''t help you move.

- Seen on a bumper sticker

Reply to
J T

You might want to check out SOSS (brand name) invisible hinges tu use on your panel. I made a similar panel in my old house when I moved a door in a room with knotty pine paneling. The wall was concrete block with plaster on one side and furred paneling on the other. I simply used drywall on the plaster side and made a door out of the pine paneling I removed where the new door was going to go. It was in a corner of the room, pretty much inconspicuous, and made a great gun cabinet. I never did figure out a good latching system, simply relied on friction between the paneling and the door. Worked great for twenty-five years (and one break-in/burglary). Probably still working fine for the new owners.

Reply to
Bruce T

Another idea he might consider is a magnetic door lock that won't open at all unless a magnet is place in the proper location. Very small chance of the hidden door being opened accidentally.

The only problem is limiting your LVT purchases. I seldom get away

And yeah, that's always a problem. Probably recommended to do mail order so the window shopping doesn't turn into a financial bloodletting.

Reply to
Upscale

This is the first time I've seen those. Rob's been holding out. ;)

It's awfully hard even with catalogs.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Fri, Jul 29, 2005, 10:20am snipped-for-privacy@rogers.com (Upscale) Another idea he might consider is a magnetic door lock that won't open at all unless a magnet is place in the proper location. Very small chance of the hidden door being opened accidentally.

Nope. Too much chance of misplacing the magnet. I prefer the pry open system.

JOAT Yes, it's my truck. No, I won''t help you move.

- Seen on a bumper sticker

Reply to
J T

Fri, Jul 29, 2005, 10:20am (EDT-3) novalidaddress@di\/ersify.com (Larry=A0Jaques) exclaimed with glee: Hey, neat idea, though he stated that it's not a stealth area. This is the first time I've seen those. Rob's been holding out. ;)

You know, now that I think on it a bit, even tho I don't want one of those on this project, it would probably be perfect on a different one.

JOAT Yes, it's my truck. No, I won''t help you move.

- Seen on a bumper sticker

Reply to
J T

Poor reasoning not to use it JT. Most any rare earth magnet properly placed will open the latch and additional magnet pulls are available from Lee Valley.

Reply to
Upscale

Fri, Jul 29, 2005, 6:49pm snipped-for-privacy@rogers.com (Upscale) who thinketh: Poor reasoning not to use it JT. Most any rare earth magnet properly placed will open the latch and additional magnet pulls are available from Lee Valley.

Nah, not in this case. Then I'd have to use a hinge(s) and all. I want to keep it simple, and this, using just the magnets would do it, and work just fine. But, a latch on another project I have in mind would be a good thing.