compressor from garage sale

It looked when the bombs went off that most of the blast went up. And not all pressure cookers are heavy cast aluminum, many are made from much lighter weight rolled stainless steel.

Leon

------------------------------------------------ Like mine which is at least 25 years old.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Mine is closer to 80 years old. Belonged to my grandmother and still works fine. I've replaced the seals and pressure safety gasket a few times in the fifty years I've owned it, along with the regulator, which was lost in a move, about 15 years ago.

Reply to
Swingman

Based on the number of leg and lower torso injuries it looks the bombs were designed to send shrapnel into the horizontal directions.

This is what makes these guys actions so deplorable. It appears they design the bombs to not kill people but to destroy their legs, which the runners were very proud of and dependent for their enjoyment.

Reply to
Keith Nuttle

The pressure cooker is a needed part of the bomb. The pressure relief

If that was the case, it would amount to a shaped charge, pointed

As to the context of our discussion, a 13-20 gallon compressor bursting from over pressurization isn't going to take off any legs or arms, let alone kill anyone.

These "pressure cooker bombs" seemed to do quite a good job at it, however.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Well that is what happened but the runners do not enjoy their legs any more that any one else that walks around. I don't know about you but I am not a runner and am dependent on my legs for much of my enjoyment. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

I *highly* doubt it was "designed" to do anything but make a bang and kill people. The lid obviously stayed intact (as I would have expected) so much of the energy would be naturally out the side. I doubt that this was in any way a "design" goal. I'm sure a compressor tank would have been even better.

Reply to
krw

Well that is what happened but the runners do not enjoy their legs any more that any one else that walks around. I don't know about you but I am not a runner and am dependent on my legs for much of my enjoyment. ================================================================================== After 15 months in a wheelchair, I realize how important they are.

Reply to
CW

I agree. These weren't very sophisticated bombs. The nails and ball bearings were the only 'design' aspect part and intended to cause as much carnage as possible

Reply to
none

The lid was found about 200' down the street on top of about a 7 story building. The lid blew off and way up high.

Reply to
Leon