Compound Miter saw info and recommendation

Page 1 of 2
I'm going to be purchasing a compound miter saw in the next several weeks, and I'm looking for some information (this is just for use for projects around the house, I'm not a contractor or anything).
We recently moved into a 35 year old house, so we're looking done some basic remodling. Things like replacing baseboard, partially finishing basement, etc. Also, I'll probably be building a deck and/or wooden play set next spring. I did some of that stuff at our previous house, but I'm tired of using a hand held circular saw or handsaw/miter box.
Most of the things I'd be using it for would be 2x6 or smaller, but there's been enough times I've worked on something larger (2x8 or 4x4), that I'm looking at the 12" models. I'm not really interested in a sliding model.
Based on my expected usage, features, price, etc. I'm looking at either the Ryobi TS1551DXL or Rigid MS1250LZ from Home Depot.
The first question I have whether both units will cut 4x4's? The Ryobi specs say it can, but from Rigid's site, it lists the capacity as 2x8. I would think pretty much any 12" miter saw would be able to handle it. The 10" Rigid model lists as working with 4x4's, but only on a 90 degree cut. There have been times I've needed an angled cut in a 4x4, and if I'm going to spend the money for a saw, I figure I might as well go for something that can handle anything I'm likely to need.
Does anyone have experience with either unit?
Even though it costs more, I'm leaning toward the Rigid one based on the solid appearance of the unit, and it includes a floor stand. Also, they're offering a lifetime warranty if purchased by Dec 31.
I have seen some negative comments on Ryobi quality, but I've had a Ryobi 10" drill press and have been happy with it. Any information would be appreciated.
Mike O.

try rec.woodworking

I looked at those also, but bought a DeWalt. It will cut up to a 4 x 6 @ 90 degrees. I don't know about on an angle, but it can be done with two cuts.

Ryobi is light weight. For most homeowners with occasional use, it is OK. For a contractor that uses the tools every day, it is not going to hold up. The Ridgid is a bit better, but don't let the lifetime warranty lull you into a sense of security. It is for manufacturing defects only so normal wear is not covered. The DeWalt is about $300. Only you can determine if the better quality is worth the extra $. Ed
90

cuts.
up.
Thanks for the comments.
I looked at the Dewalt; it's about the same price as the Rigid, but it doesn't look like it includes the clamp and stand. I realize I can add those, but it's that much more cost.
As far as the Ryobi, I'm seeing more and more of the same type of comments (light weight). As I said, I'm probably not going to be heavily using it daily, but at the same time I want something that will hold up for a long time.
-Mike O.
I have an older model 12" Rigid, the one without the laser doohickey. I've cut 4x4 with it, and even some at an angle, but not to severe. I can tell you that it has worked and worked without any issues with me. Built a garage addition, three decks, and any number of home projects. Just make sure you get the 12" and not a 10" saw.
Dave

I have a Milwaukee and I love it. It is a 10" so there are times when a 12" would be handy.
On Wed, 03 Dec 2003 19:51:08 GMT, "David Babcock"

I was originally thinking about a 10", but the more I thought about what I was going to do with it, the 12" sounds better.

Thanks for the comments. I have to admit, the laser unit appeals to my sense of "gadget", but I've seen a few comments that it's not all that great (or at least difficult to get used to). Although it doesn't look like the non-laser models are as easy to find anymore. - Mike

i am in the same boat..... but after looking at alot of saws.... i am coming to the realization that gimmicks are just that.... i am planning on a hitachi...10 inch... it is going for about 140 around here.... no laser, but does have a clamp system included. it is very tight...very little if any appreciable lateral movement...something that is very desireable.... best of luck in your quest....

Forget Ridgid and Ryobi
buy a Hitachi sliding compound miter saw you will be very pleased. I have owned one for years and it is still running great after daily use.

I just can't justify a $500+ for my needs.
1. Sliding miters are great you won't regret the purchase. 2. Go with the 12" - I have a 10" and must cut 4x4s in 2 passes 3. I have a Ryobi - it's been OK but the dust collection has never fit or worked properly, poor design.
Michael
does dust collection work on ANY SCMS?
dave
Michael Burr wrote: snip 3. I have a Ryobi - it's been OK but the dust collection has never fit

Sure. A portion goes in the bag, the rest goes into a 6' x 10' area behind the saw. ready for the shop vac. Ed

Connected to a vac, yes. Though mine is used 95% outside, it does pretty good in the shop, though I might build a collector if I ever really get to using it in the shop a lot. Dewalt.
Jeff

Even with a "smaller" 10" sliding saw, $600 is way more than I can afford (or justify)
I have been very happy with my Ridgid 12" Miter saw I bought at the Borg. I see them all the time on a special outside the tool rental portion of the Borg for around $150 with the stand. I think I paid $297 new for mine.

passes
can afford

On 3 Dec 2003 10:44:18 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Mike O.) wrote:

Go with 12", you'll be glad you did. If you don't need a sliding compound miter saw, you won't miss the extra weight of it. I've used an older Rigid, and it was fairly decent, but bought a Dewalt when I bought mine. I don't care for Ryobi, the tools are too light weight for me.
Jeff
(Mike O.) wrote:

How does the Rigid compare with the Dewalt? They're both price about the same at Home Depot, but it looks like Dewalt doesn't include a clamp or stand.
- Mike
On Wed, 3 Dec 2003 20:39:56 -0500, "Mike O."

The older Rigid I used probably didn't come with the clamp or stand either. The Rigid tools are pretty solid, and for homeowner use I'd say you'd be happy with them. Except for very minor differences they are about the same value, and unless those minor differences are enough to sway you there shouldn't be any loss in choosing one over the other.
At the time I bought mine, Dewalt had a decent rebate, which swayed me. Unfortunately, I also bought my Dewalt planer because they were clearing out the older models and offering a free jig saw for purchasers. While I like the planer, I never did get the saw after three times sending in the rebates forms. Wrong form (I printed it from the website...) then no original sales slip (they didn't return the sales slip the first time, just sent a form...) then the third time with a photocopy of the sales slip, and after a phone call with their rebate people, I got a letter staing I hadn't sent in the proper proof of purchase. They hadn't returned that when they sent the new rebate form either, and after two phone calls and a letter I haven't heard from them again.
But I'm happy with the Porter Cable tools I've chosen over the Dewalt line... :)
No, I doubt I'll buy another Dewalt tool. But not due to the quality, I'd just rather Dewalt's competitor's got my business from now on.
Jeff