Community Workshop?

Page 2 of 2
Artemus wrote:

It doesn't look like they offer much in the way of wwodworking equipment.
At $50 per visit or $1,200 per year I think I'd pass.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA
Nova wrote:

If there's a Woodcraft in the area it does no harm to walk in and ask where one can rent or borrow shop space.
There is a one location shop in Silicon Valley called The Sawdust Shop. Kind of a Woodcraft with a big shop. Daily, monthly and yearly deals and lots of classes. Kind of on the expensive side, you really need to commit to a year before you get a decent rate. They have some cool stuff. They have a 4x4 shop bot and a MultiRouter. OK idea, not sure how well the guy does. The owner has a bit of a rep for being kind of a angry ole fart. I've had my dealings with him but other than being grumpy and always having a comment to one up anything you say, he is fair and probably a lot like my grumpy, self absorbed self.

This may not be exactly what you are thinking of, but in my community (Rochester, Michigan) the Older Persons Center has a woodshop that acts something like this. Members, after taking a basic safety class, can use the equipment and it acts as a gathering point for local hobby level woodworkers. I am a member but only use it for access to some of their large machines that I don't have in my home shop. When I a actually retired, I will likely spend more time there.
Yes there is.
There are some in the south bay area - a.k.a. 'silicon valley' California.
One of the issues is insurance. The place there is a machine shop that has no work but training and lending - and I think there are fees.
Nice concept.
Martin
Jimbo wrote:

Remember the outfit in West By God where Charlie Self worked for a while?
A few years ago, they had a retail facility with a workshop available on a for fee basis.
It was located next to the "55" freeway in in Orange County here in SoCal.
Today, about the only thing left if an empty building.
Lew