CNC

Current issue of MAKE Magazine is dedicated to desktop manufacturing, including additive and subtractive systems. Worth a look if you don't have the space or money for the Big Toys.

LDosser

CNC mill for about two years now, and I am in the process of accumulating parts to make a slightly bigger mill type machine, and a much bigger CNC router.

I made awards, and done engraving mostly, but close fitting one piece carved boxes and some custom parts in aluminum have also made the grade along with a number of plate / template type parts.

My biggest problem is keeping track of all the G-Code files I've written or created and keeping the good ones straight from the experimental ones. No point in rewriting some of them each time. Just pull up my file folder and select.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

My next baby:

Robatoy

Reply to
chaniarts

You mean starting at the point where I give my wallet a spinal?

Reply to
Robatoy

"Robatoy" wrote

My next baby:

do you need three routers on this thing?

Different bits? Work faster? ???

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Much faster than a tool changer and cheaper too. Toolchangers are expensive if you want a reliable one. Then along with the bit you buy you need a holder for the bit and you also need to run air to the head. Dustcollection on a 3 head machine is a bit of a bother, but for the most part that seems to be solved.

Reply to
Robatoy

On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 11:14:11 -0800 (PST), the infamous Robatoy scrawled the following:

them: "Hey, cute baby!"

-- There is no such thing as limits to growth, because there are no limits to the human capacity for intelligence, imagination, and wonder. --Ronald Reagan

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Gaga googoo *burp*

Reply to
Robatoy

My next baby:

Knew somebody would do that! :)

Reply to
LDosser

Makes nothing but sense as 3 bits almost always enough to do a job. MasterCam makes one with 2 heads, and that's nice because you don't need a wide gantry that extends too far beyond the sides of the table.

Reply to
Robatoy

On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 18:15:41 -0800 (PST), the infamous Robatoy scrawled the following:

Sawdust burps on your shoulder are much nicer smelling and easier cleaning than baby vomit, I'm sure.

-- There is no such thing as limits to growth, because there are no limits to the human capacity for intelligence, imagination, and wonder. --Ronald Reagan

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 18:26:53 -0800, the infamous "LDosser" scrawled the following:

Wouldn't you know it'd be one of the Festerers?

So, is the magazine still an "arts and crafts" thing, or are people getting serious with it? Who has a subscription and can share a copy of the digital version? (They say on the site that it's OK.)

-- There is no such thing as limits to growth, because there are no limits to the human capacity for intelligence, imagination, and wonder. --Ronald Reagan

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I just browse it at Powell's in Beaverton.

Reply to
LDosser

On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 22:02:36 -0800, the infamous "LDosser" scrawled the following:

Bummer. That's a long drive for me from Grass Pants.

-- There is no such thing as limits to growth, because there are no limits to the human capacity for intelligence, imagination, and wonder. --Ronald Reagan

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I think you'd probably class it as still in the arts and crafts thing - cigar box guitar ...

Reply to
LDosser

On Fri, 12 Mar 2010 18:56:49 -0800, the infamous "LDosser" scrawled the following:

OK, nothing missed. Great for dads with kids.