Cloning Trees

Page 2 of 2

Jay Pique wrote:

species-- straightness, fast growth, disease resistance, etc. I don't think oldness is particularly desirable. Age is probably more a result of chance than genetics. BTW, cutting old big trees and leaving small trees isn't selecting for small trees, since little acorns become mighty oaks. Maybe somebody forgot that.

I've seen these pots before use, they look good and may simplify the process. But old-fashioned air-layering isn't hard, you just need lots and lots and lots of sphagnum.

For value, "clone" ornamentals. Like Japanese Maples: if you start in, say, May you'll have a great plant by fall.
Elms will air layer almost on their own, so fun to start with. I've done juniper, crab apple, etc. Patience is your best tool - wait until the new roots are vigorous.
This may or may not be interesting to anyone following this thread. It's not hard wood, just red pine.
http://www.sover.net/~allsam /