Cleaning new metal?

Delta directs kerosene be used to clean all unpainted surfaces on benchtop mortiser. Last time I bought kerosene was MANY years ago when every corner had a service station. Directions eclude lacquer thinner and a couple of others. DAGS and struck out. Would turps be close enough? Directions go on to say coat with wood floor paste wax, AKA S.C.Johnsons.
Stoddart solvent, mineral spirits, paint thinner is just deodorized high grade kerosene. I burn it in my shop heater. Bill

If it has been deodorized, how come it stinks so much? I don't know exactly what fraction of petroleum kerosene is, but I think it could be closer to diesel than paint thinner.
William T Bartlett wrote:

On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 16:51:07 -0500, " snipped-for-privacy@vcoms.net"

Kerosene is great for removing light rust, cleaning metal, and using it on your tools will help prevent rust. Kerosene is fairly non-toxic, and cheap. You might be able to find a deordorized lamp oil (kerosene) in WalMart's camping/sporting goods section, although it will be more $.
Break cleaner works for me. about 89 cents a can at the autozone.

snipped-for-privacy@vcoms.net said:

Kerosene is available at many ACE hardware store by the gallon. Mineral spirits is an acceptable alternative, in my experience. The wax thing is problematic. I tried it, and my tables still rusted. In the summer here, the humidity gets to 98%. Wax just wasn't cutting it. It does make a fine surface that wood just glides across, but wasn't worth a shit in the rust prevention department.
I tried CRC Table Guard and haven't seen a speck of rust <yet>.
FWIW,
Greg G.
I've used WD40 on my tools. Works fine, comes in a convienent spray container.
Clint

On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 03:38:22 GMT, Clint Neufeld

Try the gallons. It's cheaper. I have an old household cleaner sprayer and a funnel.
nospambob asks:

I've changed recently: I used WD40 to clean, then coat with paste wax.
Charlie Self
Charlie Self wrote:

I went through this myself a few days ago with a new Delta mortiser: I used brake cleaner spray. Worked great to degrease things. I'd be careful around painted surfaces though...
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

snipped-for-privacy@BARFcarolina.rr.com

In order of preference, according to Delta cust support, when I called, cuz I couldn't find a convenient source of Kero in the big city:
Kerosene Mineral spirits Turpentine Pretty much any other 'light petroleum distallate'.
Yup on the wax. Make sure whatever you use is "silicone free".
Johnsons Lundmark Butchers
are known good choices.
Robert Bonomi wrote:

The Mechanic in me cringes at this.
Kerosene leaves a residue. It may not matter on iron table tops but it certainly matters on machine parts, bearing races, etc.
The only time I use K1 as a cleaning agent is as a degreaser when the item is going to be steam cleaned or power washed.

That's my choice. Stuff cuts well, relatively easy on the skin, not that flammable, and dries clean.
--
Mark

N.E. Ohio
I have never found ANYTHING better than disc brake cleaner. That stuff cuts grease and oil like nothing I have ever seen before - well since carbon tet anyway.

snipped-for-privacy@host122.r-bonomi.com says...

In the absence of Kerosene, would diesel work?
Yes.

Local service station. Diesel fuel. Camping supply. Stove oil (kerosene). Most hardware stores. It's everywhere.

When I bought my new bandsaw, Jesse Barragan at Eagle Tools recommended WD-40 as a degreaser--it works fine.
John Wadsworth
i got a delta drill press for xmas and used that "goof off" stuff from lowes(comes in small yellow tin w/nozzle)-. It worked very well to remove all of the oil, then I followed up with a car wax (closest I had to floor wax!) Seemed to do teh trick!
-Sub