Cleaning kitchen cabinets ?

My kitchen cabinets were installed and finished, or VV, by my home builder about 40 years ago. I know my late wife cleaned them from time-to-time, but I do not recall what she may have used. I do not have the foggiest idea of what the finish is. The finish is a low luster, but not flat.
I wish to clean the outside surfaces of these cabinets but I do not want to attack the finish itself. I am thinking of using one of the presently available such as Orange Clean - or something similar, but I am unsure which one.
I will appreciate any helpful suggestions on this cleaning task.
Hoyt W.
My kitchen cabinets were installed and finished, or VV, by my home builder about 40 years ago. I know my late wife cleaned them from time-to-time, but I do not recall what she may have used. I do not have the foggiest idea of what the finish is. The finish is a low luster, but not flat.
I wish to clean the outside surfaces of these cabinets but I do not want to attack the finish itself. I am thinking of using one of the presently available such as Orange Clean - or something similar, but I am unsure which one.
I will appreciate any helpful suggestions on this cleaning task.
Hoyt W.

to attack

such as

I use this green degreaser from the Despot. Cleans cabinets nicely. It is said: Do not use Murphy's Oil Soap.
--Scott
On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 13:01:06 -0400, "Scott Burright"

There are two different formulations of Murphy's. The spray bottle version is much different than the pour-out version. Murphy's even states on the label that the two are incompatible.
Which version are you talking about?
Barry
Murphy's! That's what I meant, not Thompson's. Sorry about that.

Must be the pour-out version. Note "it is said." I didn't say it. ;-)
--Scott
On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 10:09:32 -0400, "Scott Burright"

The spray version has silicone in it.
Barry

I'll have to check to remember what exact green liquid in a squeeze bottle I bought to clean my cabinets. Basically some surfactant.
--Scott
Thompsons furniture soap? I think that this is what it is called. I have used it on my antiques for years, works good and looks good.
Patrick
My wife did try to clean some 30 year old oak cabinets with a cleaner and abrasive and has taken off the finish in spots where she cleaned particularly well. Any suggestions to repair these areas to match the original finish?

about 40

not recall

is. The

to attack

such as

Try "Simple Green" diluted according to the label for cleaning. After that, I personally would use a furniture paste wax but I can understand people using something like Pledge. As for the "Orange" cleaners, be careful. Some finishes are known to fail after use.
Good Luck.

about 40

not recall

is. The