Cleaning bandsaw rubbers?

While changing the blade on my bandsaw I noticed a lot of saw dust stuck (pressed)to the rubber on the wheels. Before I install the new blade I want to clean them. As I don't want to damage them, what should I use? Methylated spirits? Mineral turpentine? Thanks, T.
I would use denatured alcohol

Anything vaguely like that. They're quite robust.
The best way though to to scrub them with a brush whilst in use. Take a toothbrush, hot bend the handle to fit and screw it near to the bottom wheel so that it lightly scrubs the top of the tyre. Buying a new toothbrush with a soft plastic handle makes for easier screwing than using a hard-plastic handle, even if theres one in the bathroom.

Iturra and Woodcraft sells brushes that do this. They cost $7 and takes seconds to install. Well worth it.

Since the tires are flexible, and the crud deposits generally are not, you can remove a lot by rotating against even a smooth screwdriver handle pressed firmly into the tire. Worse stuff you can scrape. I use scraps of wood to do that. Seem to always have a few about the bandsaw.
It's not from "better bandsaws and gimmicks" but it works at what it does. Friend of mine uses WD40 to lube the blade on his when sawing sticky stuff, and it seems to help reject the deposit of same on the tires.
what i have done is attach a nylon brush so that it cleans the lower wheel as it is being used, it distorts the brush but keeps both wheels pretty clean all the time.
johnv

Laguna recommends spinning the wheel and lightly holding sand paper against it.

For what you pay for a Laguna, they should send a guy out in a limo to clean it.. *g*
Mac

Oh I think you get enough. I would compare it to a typical $1000 BS as a no name bench top TS to a Jet cabinet saw. :-)

Unless it has sap or pitch on it, I just use a tooth brush and "awesome" all purpose cleaner...
Most of the time, I just use a bit of water on the brush and things come right off...
OTOH, if you practice a lot of blade abuse and the over heated blade is baking crap onto the tires, then you're in for a cleanup job.. DAMHIKT Mac
Tana wrote:

Thanks for your help, I ended up scraping off the thicker stuff and then wet brushing the rest. I have a brush on the bottom wheel but I think it might need more tension. Thanks again, Tana