circular saws and Skilsaw

Page 2 of 2
On 3/2/2013 10:11 AM, basilisk wrote:

> no such path to building skills exist this day and time. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Well said, and the absolute, and IMO sad, truth.
Then again, I suppose it is to be expected ...
In my younger days I had the pleasure of working with some horseman who came from an era when horses were still the major means of transportation and an everyday experience for most of the population.
Those guys died knowing more about horses and horsemanship than 100% of the current crop of "horseman" in the last 50 years.
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On Sat, 02 Mar 2013 10:27:06 -0600, Swingman wrote:

No doubt.
I remember the last working horses(almost horses) in the cummunity I grew up in, a matched pair of Belgian cross mules used to skid logs. The work they could turn out in a day was impressive.
For the most part the old timers were glad to be rid of the beast, and wouldn't even considered owning another horse.
basilisk

Old Order and Amish farmers.
On 3/2/2013 8:20 AM, basilisk wrote: ...

It generally gets good reviews--wonder if check w/ Skil they'd back it up. It is, however, clearly priced at an entry-level price point.
As Leon says, the Skil 77 (mag case or not) is (or at least always has been; I've not used one built since the late '70s or earlier) the top dog amongst framers particularly on west coast where they're really partial to worm drives. Mine is still going after about 50 years of reasonable use; for some 20 it was used very heavily but not so much over last 15-20 altho got a good workout during the barn restore for a while when first came back to farm...
Skil did, however, other than the 77 for a number of years try to hit the consumer market rather than upper level HO/pro so they weren't building much other than it that was of much account. So, all to say not sure whether it's really in general or just a bum particular item...
basilisk wrote:

Somehow, replacing the brushes doesn't seem like a "repair" to me.
--

dadiOH
____________________________
On Sat, 2 Mar 2013 10:35:53 -0500, dadiOH wrote:

You're right isn't much of a repair, but it is old an tired and I don't want to deny myself the oppurtunity to upgrade :)
basilisk
"basilisk" wrote:

Years ago Bosch bought Skil in order to get one thing, the "77".
The rest of the product line was strictly entry level junk and was marketed to the low end consumer market.
Lew
basilisk wrote:

On the other hand, a set of brushes shouldn't cost more than a couple of bucks.
Even if you get a new saw, the two-dollar investment will enable you to have a spare...

I'm not familiar with that particular saw model, but I've straightened up several old cheap saws of similar construction by clamping them down to a work bench, sticking a prybar or board through the handle, and prying at the appropriate angle.

Silly person. Simply drop it on the concrete on its OTHER side to square it up. That's likely how it got OOS in the first place.
--
If more sane people were armed,
crazy people would get off fewer shots.
On Sat, 02 Mar 2013 13:29:47 -0800, Larry Jaques wrote:

hmmm,
How far should I drop it, I have access to a man lift that goes up to 84 feet, but if needed I can probably pitch it 12 feet or so up :) Nah, I'll give it back to my son, say thanks, and point out its shortcomings.
basilisk

Oh, please! Use your Ford hammah to finesse it into alignment for him before you give it back, at least.
--
If more sane people were armed,
crazy people would get off fewer shots.

I still have my dad's old Skil saw all aluminum body. Only a 6.5" blade but it's got more power then a lot of new saws. I'm guessing it's at leaar 50 years old. I won't be parting with it. But I do have TS55 when needed.
Mike M
"basilisk" wrote in message
I have a Hitachie circular saw, it was a good saw for what it cost and lasted several years of hard use, but the brushes have give up the ghost and due to its age, I'll replace it rather than repair it.
Faced with a job away from home, my son generously offered the use of his Skilsaw HD5687, what a piece of crap. I needed to rip a long board, clamped a straight edge to it for a guide, began the cut and the saw bound up within a foot. On further inspection the saw foot is 1/8 inch out of square with the saw blade, making it useless for practically everything. It is all riveted together with no way to adjust the alignment of the foot to blade. Reminds me of an old AMC car, where the body and chassis were never quite in line with each other and the whole mess went down the road like a dog with its ass end off to one side.
I have never owned any "Skilsaw brand tools" and this pretty much guarantees I never will.
basilisk (done bitching about cheap tools) =================================================================================I don't know if I just got lucky or they were made better back then but I have a Skillsaw, a sidewinder, that I bought in 1983 for the sole purpose of cutting rear fenders on M1 Abrams tanks. Using an abrasive wheel, I cut many of these. It did some serious work. I don't know what those things were made of but it was the hardest to cut metal I ever got ahold of. A torch wouldn't touch it. I still have the saw. It works fine, bearings in good shape and cuts along a strait edge just fine.

ago were pretty good.
On 3/2/2013 8:20 AM, basilisk wrote:

was a carpenter and he bought one back in the 40s, right after WWII. It was a big heavy thing that came in its own big red metal box. I think that Skill must have been the first circular saw for general use. At least we always referred to circular saws as Skill Saws. That one did last for a long time. But then that was a long time ago.
Bill
basilisk wrote the following on 3/2/2013 9:20 AM (ET):

Not reading all the responses following yours. Changing the brushes is easier than any other repairs to an electric motor. I've done it more than once, the last time for my central vacuum cleaner motor. The brushes are cheap. Just take one of the brushes to an electrical repair store to get the same sizes. You liked the Hitachi circular saw and not the replacement one, Why buy another when the repair is cheap and easy to replace?
--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

He's looking for an excuse to buy some latest and greatest new technology.
It doesn't have to be a good reason, just any reason that he can use as motivation.