Circular Saw Choice

Having limited (very) experience in this arena,,,,,, I am looking for a good circular saw.

The product distributed by the local channels leaves me a bit disappointed.

The first thing I do when I inspect a table saw or circular saw is wobble the blade back and forth to check run out.

It seems the specs on these are rather "loose".

What brands have tighter tolerances for these two products.

thanks,

Wanka

Reply to
Wanker

I _LIKE_ the new Bosch. This is the model with the composite base plate, direct connect cord, and metal hanger.

I don't own one, but was recently fingering one at the local tool pusher, and it would probably be the saw I'd buy today.

Other than that, Porter Cable makes a decent saw, and you get to choose which side the blade is on.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

I really like the porter cable sawboss. it only has a 6.5" blade (keep forgetting) but it cuts very clean and very fast. and it is nice and accurate. though it is not cheap.

Reply to
Steve Knight

disappointed.

Hmmmmm... I don't know how you determine run out by wobbling the blade back and forth. If you can wobble it then it's not tight and I can't think of any saw - even the cheapest junk out there, that would not secure a blade tightly. Having said that, you really can't go wrong with any of the major names - DeWalt, Milwaukee, Porter-Cable. Many would recommend Makita, but I'm just not a Makita fan, so I'll leave it to one of the many to make that recommendation.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

yeah... that's not runout, it's endplay or bearing slop. neither of those are things you want in a saw....

Reply to
bridger

You probably want to look for the "brand" that "is not" sold at K-Mart or Walmart.

My next one will probably be Porter Cable, maybe Milwaukee.

Reply to
Leon

disappointed.

You also want to think about whether you want a left-hand or right-hand saw. PC and Milwaukee make R/L hand versions of their saws. If you're right-handed, and LH saw might make it easier to see the blade and cut.

Reply to
Buck Turgidson

PC left-hand-side blade is what I use. There is now a magnesium version which is lighter. I do have/use an old Ryobi which just won't die, as well.

Reply to
Tom Kendrick

I have the Porter Cable saw that is mentioned in other posts. It works great. I then got a Bosch worm drive, top handle, saw because everyone needs two circ saws! I wouldn't recommend the worm drive for everyone, its heavy, blades are "backwards" and need to support the diamond knockout. I keep the PC saw at my summer cabin so I don't truck a saw with me when I go. A friend has an older Hitachi that is light and accurate that he really likes. It seems to have a bigger base.

disappointed.

Reply to
Brikp

Maybe, if you are right handed and use the LH model you may end up with a lot of debris in your face. For safetys sake use a RH if you are a Right handed person . LH if you are a Left handed person. You really should not be able to see the side of the blade while cutting.

Reply to
Leon

I just bought one of those SEARS circular saw's with the laser guide that's built in.(Have wanted to get one for a while now) After making a couple of cuts (freehand) I am really happy with my choice, that laser really shows if you go off your cut line.

Although I can't say how long the saw is going to last, it is somewhat heavy which to me makes it well built. ( In the days of plastic parts heavy is better )Plus lots of copper windings in a well built motor make it really heavy.

Good luck with your choice, I am quite happy with mine and it only cost me $99 canadian.

Todd

Reply to
Todd

Cripes! Loose?.....

Anyways, my choice a while ago was the old B&D Sawcat. It's now sold as a DeWalt model. Excellent saw for the $$$. If I had to do it again, I'd go for either a Hitachi C9, a Makita 5901B/5902B or the new Australian Triton 9" saw. All are absolutely superb.

Reply to
Noons

Milwaukee makes good saws - except for the one that uses an "elevator" depth adjustment. (I don't remember the model number offhand, though it's the one I [wish I hadn't] bought.) The saw goes straight up/down rather than being hinged at the back the way most depth adjustment is handled.

Stay away from it. The saw cuts smooth as glass, but getting the depth right is a royal PITA. :P

Reply to
Wolf Lahti

I love my Milwaukee.

djb