Circle cutting on Bandsaw

I need to cut some 61/2" diameter circles out of 3/4" stock. I have a Jet

14" bandsaw. I know there are many places where a quick and easy circle cutting jig for a bandsaw has been published. However, I can't locate any diagrams in the back issues of magazines I currently have or on the web. Can someone direct me to a site where the jig is illustrated?
Reply to
Dustmaker

Google "bandsaw circle jig" 34,500+ hits.

Reply to
Roy

I don't have any pictures offhand, but a google search produced this, among others.

pictures isn't even exactly what I had in mind. I just made a strip that fit in the miter guage slot, and attached a large piece of ply to this strip. The ply functions as a "sub-table", and I put a small nail up through the bottom of the ply, at (radius) inches from the front of the blade. Then put the center of the workpiece on the nail, feed it into the blade, and spin the workpiece until the circle is cut. Much harder to explain than to make - I can probably snap a photo if you really need one. If you don't already have a bandsaw book (i.e. Duginske), I'd highly recommend one - good not only for jigs etc, but also for setup, tuning, blade selection, etc. Good luck, Andy

Reply to
Andy

Is this supposed to be a joke?

It has a stop block, on the bottom, that stops the front edge of the jig at the front edge of the table. With the jig against the stop block, put in a nail, or other pivot, to the right of the blade, equal to the radius of the cut.

To cut, place a rough cut disc on the pivot, and feed the jig with material, into the blade, until the jig hits the stop block. Then, just turn the material to cut the disc.

It works gteat, and even better on a router table! Have fun, make sawdust

Reply to
sailor

Same thing on a disk sander with a miter gage groove, though the use of an eighth inch pin in a quarter inch hole helps keep you from burning the edge as you advance the jig.

On the bandsaw, you don't need a rough cut, as you are making your entry cut as you advance the jig to the stop.

Reply to
George