chisels

Page 1 of 4

Thinking of buying a new set of chisels. Any words of wisdom about brands, ebay etc.? These are for general woodworking, not carving or building a barn.
But speaking of ebay, I am totally converted to buying older Stanley planes on ebay. The ones I have so far have needed less work to get into good shape than the junk I have purchase retail, not being able to spend $300 on a top of the line new plane.
Thanks.
What do you think of Marples brand chisels?
I have a set of the marples blue handled chisels. I think they are alright, though they come so far from flat that I wouldn't buy them again. Even after a couple dozen times sharpening them I still don't have a mirror lap on the back, I mean right next to the bevel is good, but further up...
If I had to do it again, I would buy a cheapo set for crappy projects, and slowly purchase really nice ones kinda as needed. In fact I might start doing that, and make the Marples my crappy set.
Andrew
gregj wrote:

they suck. They won't hold an edge for 5 minutes. Literally. Sears chisels are much better, believe it or not.
Dave

Interestingly, Frank Klaus recommended these specifically (with the caveat that they probably aren't for the /professional/ woodworker, and more expensive chisels will hold an edge longer, but not necessarily any better edge).
I haven't had any problem with mine holding an edge, but I didn't [feel the need to] spend $300 on them, either.
-- Michael Campbell
Michael Campbell wrote:

when did you purchase them?

Few years ago. Not sure how that's relevant, however.
Yes, I sharpen them when I need to, but that's well over 5 minutes. It's not even measured in minutes.
I'm a hobbyist though.
-- Michael Campbell

Think modern Stanley handplanes.
I have Marple chisels also. The face of the 1 1/2 " had a low spot so deep that it took over 3 hours on a diamond stone to take out. But on the other hand that was 3 hours spent learning how to sharpen on relatively cheap chisels. In retrospect it was time well spent. Just plan on purchasing/learning a good sharpening system.
Don
gregj wrote:

On 28 Jul 2005 13:15:54 -0700, the opaque "rickluce"

You should have dropped by HF and gotten a $10 set of their really coarse diamond plates for that task, Rick. Save the DMT 600 grit for the finishing, then 1000/1200 WOD paper, and finalize with a strop.

Right, any time spent learning to hone your skills (groan) is time well spent.
--
"See, in my line of work you got to keep repeating things
over and over and over again for the truth to sink in,

FF

On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 13:35:08 -0700, fredfighter wrote:

When _did_ BB go downhill? After 1972 or after 1913/1915? It'll be easier to find some chisels in reasonably good shape if the later year is the time you're referring to.
--
"Keep your ass behind you"
vladimir a t mad scientist com

You can buy new_old_stock Buck Bros. chisels that were made in the 60's from Craftsman's studio, San Diego.
--
Alex - newbie_neander in woodworking
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com
Australopithecus scobis wrote:

Unfortunatley I don't know. The galoots over on the OldTools list are always gloating about finding Stanley everlast and Buck Brothers. Hence my comment about reputation. Certainly the new Bucks are nothing to brag about.
My guess is, a Buck that's old enough to have it's wooden handle missing is a good bet.
--

FF

You can find exceptional antique chisels for reasonable prices at http://www.theoldtoolshop.fsnet.co.uk / They sell handmade and machine made chisels, carving tools, and other old tools. Jim
I just bought some of the Sorby Registered Chisels, very little effort to get them sharp and they are better than anything I have used so far in my opinion. Mike Francis
gregj wrote:

Veritas planes are not $300. I'd be shocked if you thought they were anything less than "top of the line". The most expensive one is $250. Mostly they are in the $150-$200 range.
Dave
Thanks Dave. Guess i got a little carried away there but my point is that I think the older Stanleys are a pretty good deal.

I agree, I have several old Stanley planes from eBay and one #8 from a local junk shop, all excellent buys and quality. 'Cept I dislike the #6 type 8.
--
Alex - newbie_neander in woodworking
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com
AAvK wrote:

What specifically don't you like about it? My type 17 #6 is my favorite Stanley.
Chuck Vance (who has a "few" old Stanleys)