Chisel and plane iron honing

What angle do you set your honing guide to fie chisels and plane irons?
hairdad wrote:

I would not use a guide to hone. If your tools are already sharpened, then your decision is basically already made for you.
hairdad wrote:

Personally, for chisels, 25 degrees then 30 degrees for a micro-bevel.
On 9/22/2015 11:41 AM, dadiOH wrote:

Agreed. That's pretty basic.
--
Jeff

chisels: http://www.fine-tools.com/veritas-chisels.html
plane irons: http://www.leevalley.com/us/shopping/Instructions.aspx?pV081
On Tuesday, September 22, 2015 at 10:52:30 AM UTC-5, Spalted Walt wrote:

What kind of chisel(s) are you wanting to sharpen? There are different re commendations for different chisels. I suppose you are referring to bench chisels.

+1 This is a good site. The initial opening page article speaks of bench chi sels. The tabs on the right side of the page reference other kinds of chi sels. The beveled edge on my paring chisels are different than on my benc h chisels, and they should be different.
*On the opening page of the link, the pic shows the use of a bench chisel, for (I suppose) fine trimming of a dovetail. I would use a paring chisel for that job and other similar precision/fine cuttings. Other examples, m ortises: a mortise chisel for the bulk, then a paring chisel to clean up, f ine tune, the edges; Dutchmans: a bench and/or mortise chisel for the bul k of the slot, then a paring chisel for fine tuning the edges. *Do not us e a mallet on a paring chisel. A paring chisel should be sharp enough to use hand pressure, only.

56081
Sonny