Cherry table top - hard enough?

I'm planning on a cherry top for a table I'm making. The finish will be Duravar. Will this be hard enough to write on without noticeable denting, or should I use maple and dye/stain it to look like cherry? Thank you.
JP
On 1/9/2010 12:49 PM, Mark Whittingham wrote:

Not familiar with Duravar so I don't know how that would affect the equation, but I doubt it. Cherry is pretty soft.
--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.
Mark Whittingham wrote:

http://tinytimbers.com/janka.htm
--

dadiOH
____________________________

Nice site, thanks. No listing for mesquite though.
-Zz
On 1/9/2010 2:47 PM, Zz Yzx wrote:

It's in there, but it's listed in the table, not the pie chart. Mesquite is 2345.
--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.
On 1/9/2010 3:04 PM, Steve Turner wrote:

Woops; brain check. That is *not* a "pie" chart... :-)
--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.

Good catch, I was gonna' gripe you out.
-Zz
In dropped this bit of wisdom:

I cannot say for the others, but,
I have a solid cherry table that my grandfather made almost, if not more than, 100 years ago.
All it has is a standard, for then, finish on it and it is definitely hard enough to write upon.
P D Q
My first-hand experience is No, cherry will not stand up to writing.
-Steve

"Mark Whittingham" wrote:

If I were to write on your table, I'd leave marks in it without a table protector.
Lew
Consider the ball point pen. It is very small and the force you exert is high - PSI is high. No wood can stand up to it. Many metals can't.
Use a tablet under the single sheet or a glass sheet covering the top. The glass should be tempered and safety. A glass company should help.
In the 60's we had good friends that had a glass table top for a dinning room.
The table was great until a hot pot was put on a cloth pad - shattered it. The table top was replaced with a 1" sandstone top that was sealed and was beautiful. The mother had a deep gash on her leg.
Martin
Mark Whittingham wrote:

I have finished cherry in ways that would withstand writing on it. 3 piss coats of Autocryl clear and two or three full strength. Pricey but effective without that epoxy/plastic look. Hard enough for most normal use, including writing.

I have two cherry table tops I made from wood from the farm I grew up on. One is over 18 years old -- we have written on it over the years and no marks. I guess you could make marks if you pushed hard enough with a ball point pen,
l8r Jack
On Sat, 9 Jan 2010 10:49:05 -0800 (PST), Mark Whittingham

I don't know of any practical wood finish that can withstand a ball-point pen. If it is a writing table you are building consider a leather covering for writing.