Checking for metal in wood

I have some used lumber I want to run through my thickness planer, but I'm not 100 percent there's not a broken off screw in one of them. Is there a woodworking device that checks for metal in wood? I'm thinking of borrowing a metal detector to go over them.
Thanks,
S.
The metal detector will work OK but it will be a bit clumsy if you plan on using it a lot. A smaller metal detector, like the ones that they use on you at the airport when you fail the walk through scan, are available. The ones that sell for around $100 work fine, but the smaller and cheaper ones aren't very good. Woodworkers Supply and Rockler carry them or you might find them at a local security and police supply store.
Charley

The device you're looking for is called "Lumber Wizard."
Lee

_________________________________

I recommend the Wizard III. It easily finds the screws in my left leg or a tidbit in pallet wood. I bought mine at Woodcraft but there are other retailers.
http://www.wizarddetectors.com/metaldt.cfm
On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 17:38:03 GMT, Phisherman wrote:

This tool looks great, but I'm going to have to think about whether the 100 dollar price is justifiable given the amount of work I do, the amount of work I'll do in the coming years, the cost of possible blade replacement, &c.
S.

IMHO, no. The "Wizard" detectors just aren't very good.
I'm using a mixture of a mil-surplus mine detector (which isn't very good - a cheap treaure-hunting metal detector works better), but mainly I use blades I don't care about too much. Unless you're encountering hardened drywall screws, most nails and woodscrews are actually pretty soft.

I got hit twice last night on some old poplar I recovered from a job site. Those 15" planer blades still found a screw after I used the "Wizard" brand scanner. I hate changing planer blades.
On my Delta DC380, I don't think I can even use the "shift the blades" trick to help the situation.
Andy Dingley wrote:

What scanner size do you have? I have the Wizard III, the larger Wizard. This unit picks up the smallest of metal pieces. I havn't used the "Little Wizard" (about $20), but have read comments that this smaller metal scanner is not nearly as sensitive.
On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 20:10:00 GMT, Pat Barber

I've found that a jointer with newly sharpened blades will find every piece of metal in a rough board.
samson wrote:

A new Forrest WWII or Freud blade works well for that too...
John ...who once, with the first cut with a new Freud blade in a 7 1/4" saw, destroyed all the carbide on two embedded nails. ;~(

How about one of the magnetic dry wall nail finders that were used? Or a compass direction finder. Of course this would not show a brass screw.

Of course, you don't really have to worry that much about brass screws.....
Also, I don't think studfinders (if that's what you were talking about) work on magnets, they detect changes in density to show where the studs are.