Checking for metal in wood

I have some used lumber I want to run through my thickness planer, but I'm not 100 percent there's not a broken off screw in one of them. Is there a woodworking device that checks for metal in wood? I'm thinking of borrowing a metal detector to go over them.

Thanks,

S.

Reply to
samson

The metal detector will work OK but it will be a bit clumsy if you plan on using it a lot. A smaller metal detector, like the ones that they use on you at the airport when you fail the walk through scan, are available. The ones that sell for around $100 work fine, but the smaller and cheaper ones aren't very good. Woodworkers Supply and Rockler carry them or you might find them at a local security and police supply store.

Charley

Reply to
Charley

The device you're looking for is called "Lumber Wizard."

Lee

Reply to
Lee Gordon

I recommend the Wizard III. It easily finds the screws in my left leg or a tidbit in pallet wood. I bought mine at Woodcraft but there are other retailers.

Phisherman

dollar price is justifiable given the amount of work I do, the amount of work I'll do in the coming years, the cost of possible blade replacement, &c.

S.

Reply to
samson

A new Forrest WWII or Freud blade works well for that too...

John ...who once, with the first cut with a new Freud blade in a 7 1/4" saw, destroyed all the carbide on two embedded nails. ;~(

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

IMHO, no. The "Wizard" detectors just aren't very good.

I'm using a mixture of a mil-surplus mine detector (which isn't very good - a cheap treaure-hunting metal detector works better), but mainly I use blades I don't care about too much. Unless you're encountering hardened drywall screws, most nails and woodscrews are actually pretty soft.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

How about one of the magnetic dry wall nail finders that were used? Or a compass direction finder. Of course this would not show a brass screw.

Reply to
Warren Weber

Of course, you don't really have to worry that much about brass screws.....

Also, I don't think studfinders (if that's what you were talking about) work on magnets, they detect changes in density to show where the studs are.

Reply to
Joe

I got hit twice last night on some old poplar I recovered from a job site. Those 15" planer blades still found a screw after I used the "Wizard" brand scanner. I hate changing planer blades.

Reply to
Pat Barber

Reply to
Phisherman