Cheap Dovetail Jigs - avoid?

Page 2 of 2
I think this is the biggest reason the Jet jig works better than the Rockler or the clones. The aluminum template versus the plastic. As I stated in another post, after setup of about half an hour or so I did 24 drawer boxes with it, thats 48 operations in all and had no problems other than some tear out in the material caused by me going a little too fast I think. And even that only happened once or twice.
Jim

in
my
often
off

I agree that once it was set up, it would work just fine. But I don't yet work on production of that scale.
The kitchen of my wife's dreams is just that, right now. She hasn't decided on what she wants, and I don't have all of the skills practiced just yet to take that one on.
Oh, and she would like me to finish the hall bathroom project first.
Patriarch

My immediate problem had to do with the clamping mechanism, and the funky adjustments, IIRC. Whenever I would try to adjust something, wood fell to the floor. I'm not very patient about all that, so I changed the design of the drawer to use a different joint, and tossed the offending tool on the shelf. It has a new life with someone else now.
Life is too short to be frustrated by my hobby. If I want frustration, I can always go back to golf.
Patriarch
HAve you ever bought anything for $40 that was worth it ??? The PC dovetail jig works fine but setup is very tedious.
The instructions are fair to good. That can't be said for the infamous "blue dovetail jig".
The one theme you will see here is that you get what you pay for. If you are not willing to pay up, this hobby may not be for you.
Just for the record, that PC jig sells in many locations for slightly under $100.
Do NOT buy cheap router bits either.
Yitah wrote:

I have the PC jig. I thought setup was quite easy.

Yes, I have purchased many items for $40 (and even less) that were worth it. Now if you are asking if I have bought many $200 items for $40 that were worth it that might be a different story.
Dave Hall

I haven;t used it but the Hartville jig looks ot be wellbuilt and designed, is made in the USA and hartville Tool has a good reputation.
http://www.hartvilletool.com/search.php?search_id=dovetail%20jig&start=0&viewP
--

FF

Thanks for all the responses.
From what I gather, there are a pretty wide range of experiences with each of the different jigs.
Looks like I might get my hands on the Keller jig that someone in the group offered up, if so, that's best since I really want to do through dovetails more than half blind. As someone else pointed out, there's more of a aesthetic than structural reason to do them.
If I can't get the Keller, I'm leaning towards the PC. It's $109 including shipping at Amazon.
I have to admit that I'm still tempted to get the cheapo $30 Jet/Harbor Freight / Rockler Clone. I'm very handy with stuff, and could probably get it to work.
On 23 Jan 2004 12:39:24 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net (Fred the Red Shirt) wrote:

BTDT, don't! Keller is more than your PC price but mine came with both bits included.

I have one of the 55.00 woodstock international dovetail jigs and it works very well.