Cheap and Effective Splitter

A couple of months ago a post was started asking about cheaper alternatives to the Beisemeyer splitter. I was fortunate enough to have seen the post suggesting the Micro Jig Splitter. This is a splitter made by the same people that make the adjustable Micro Jig push block. I visited the site and was happy to see the splitter being offered for $14.99. I ordered the splitter and have been using it for 6 or so weeks. The splitter works as advertised as I have had NO burn marks on any Poplar that I have been ripping. Basically you get 2 splitters and an installation jig. Once your holes are drilled in your zero clearance insert, installation and removal of the splitter takes about 2 seconds. While $14.99 seems expensive for what you get in the package, but it is CHEAP when compared to he $100.00 + Beis Splitter.

Take a look here

Leon

Thanks, I need a splitter rather badly. $15 isn't cheap, except when you consider the time spend making something that doesn't work as well.

Reply to
Toller

maybe you are paying just $2.00 for the materials, and $13 for the instructions (read: plans). NOW does it seem like a good deal? :)

dave

Toller wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

Yes even with $2 for materials and $13 for instructions it is much cheaper than the Beismeyer that essentially charges $3 for materials and $100+ for plans.

Reply to
Leon

Another woodworker turned me on to this . . . (I can't take credit for it)

Find a steel drill bit which is exactly the same diameter as your saw blade is thick. Locate it in line with your blade at the rear of the throat plate and use it to drill a hole. Stick it upside down in the aforementioned hole and . . .

VIOLA!!

Sheer perfection!!

Reply to
WCD

"Leon" wrote in news:Sbxhc.324$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr23.news.prodigy.com:

Well, maybe $3 for materials, $12 for plans, $50 for dealer markup and marketing channel costs, and the balance for product liability reserves...:-{

The $28 I spent on the Delta Removeable Splitter, as a service part, with antikickback pawls, still seems like a good deal.

Most importantly, though, I use it. Almost any of these designs is adequate, unless they are shoved in a box on a dusty shelf.

Patriarch

Reply to
patriarch

Ok, sounds reasonable, but what's to stop the drill bit from dropping down through the hole either due to it's own weight or with the added tablesaw vibration? With the addition of some type of support mechanism to stop that happening, it sounds like a viable option.

Reply to
Upscale

Ummm don't drill the hole all the way through...

Reply to
Leon

Hmmm . . .

Well, when I did it, the hole was tight enough for a snug fit and didn't need anything else. At one point I hit the "splitter" wrong and broke off the bit and it still didn't fall into the hole. A dab of glue would hold it in though if needed, I think.

You could also drill the hole using a drill bit one size smaller so its a really snug fit.

I actually own a Biesmeyer splitter but never got around to calibrating it and now I just use the drill bit.

Reply to
WCD

Leon,

alternatives

Bernie Hunt

Here's one that's only $7.95 and comes with pins for both regular kerf and narrow kerf blades.

just installed it last weekend and love it. Took all of 1/2 hour to install.

Reply to
Rossmoor Don

Naw, too easy.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

I also bought the splitter and was able to install in about 1.5 hours. I do love the little bugger and as soon as I get rid of a few more habits, perhaps I can too cut without burns.

Alan

Reply to
Alan W