Charles Self's 'Creating Your Own Woodshop (Take a Peek)

Not sure how books end up on Google books but I think it's a neat feature. Anyway, if you don't own the book it would make a nice addition to any woodworking library. You might enjoy checking out a few shop pics and accompanying stories. You might recognize a couple names from the wrec:
http://books.google.com/books?id=2zoC8LXljYMC&pg=PA172#v=onepage&q&f=false
For me, the peek inside was another reminder of how disorganized my shop is. Though I have some tools in reasonable places, for convenience of work, I have others out of place, not to mention several projects cluttering the whole, also.
No sooner do I make an attempt to organize the mess, that I find some project to start or to continue with, and that project becomes priority, so the organizating comes to a halt. Seems, doing a project is more important, or more fun, than organizing the shop.
About half my present projects consist of small tasks, for neighbors and relatives, and these often take more time to do, than I spend on my own projects. At times, I've wondered if others have similarly disorganized scenarios.
I think viewing and reading your link has inspried me to focus on doing some organizing of the shop, again. The nice weather, we're having, helps, too.
Sonny

Welcome to my world.

Of course it is! Organizing the shop is work. Doing a project is play.

At least one other. :-)

Crummy weather helps me get things done in my shop -- shop's in the basement, so it's a nice warm dry place to go when the weather is nasty.
On 1/27/2013 10:15 AM, Sonny wrote:

Though I have some tools in reasonable places, for convenience of work, I have others out of place, not to mention several projects cluttering the whole, also.

to start or to continue with, and that project becomes priority, so the organizating comes to a halt. Seems, doing a project is more important, or more fun, than organizing the shop.

relatives, and these often take more time to do, than I spend on my own projects. At times, I've wondered if others have similarly disorganized scenarios.

organization wise. When I work the bench is covered with things (but I've been training myself to put things away). when I am getting to a point that it interferes with the finishing, (denting it) I try to clean up.
I have learned to keep the table saw clear, but sometimes I turn around and I load it up. Like today, its got scrap wood on it from the other day.
To me having the clutter prevents me from working. I find if I allow it to gain on me, then I spend more time moving shit back and forth than getting work done. When I am working organized I just get it done, when I allow the clutter to creep, I spend 1/3 of my time making room, _And then I get side tracked_.
So I am not a organization weenie, just someone who would rather build than move stuff around. My previous shop before this shop was a small room, only big enough for hand tools, and hand power tools... I learned I had to keep it organized to get anything done... otherwise there was no room for work.
--
Jeff

"Sonny" wrote:
[...]
I can certainly be counted as being in the top 5% of the world's biggest slobs.
I haven't seen the top of my desk in years.
Building a boat in an open field with only a small tool shed to keep your tools under lock and key and some saw horses to form temporary work tables forces you to do some things, namely put your tools away at the end of the day such that you can easily find the at the start of the next day.
The next day gets started that much more quickly if you can quickly lay out the tools and materials needed for the day.
Nothing fancy, but I found it made a difference.
Lew
Another aspect, pointed out in the link, is lighting, with the help of windows. Though disorganization is distracting enough, improper lighting is a handicap, also. I really like the window space and the atmosphere it presents, in one of those shops, shown.
Sonny
On 1/27/2013 10:47 AM, Sonny wrote:

windows. Though disorganization is distracting enough, improper lighting is a handicap, also. I really like the window space and the atmosphere it presents, in one of those shops, shown. What I don't like about windows in a shop is that you're forced to deal with the security hassle, at least in an urban environment.
Would love to have them, though ... large ones. And a wooden floor thrown in for good measure.
The problem is, at a certain age, if you could indeed build the shop of your dreams, chances are good that your widow will be selling it in the not that distant furure. :(
Nothing sadder than to go to the sale of shop equipment, in the shop of someone's dreams, held by the widow.
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On 1/27/13 11:16 AM, Swingman wrote:

I guess that's why they say, "Don't forget to enjoy the journey."
--

-MIKE-

On 1/27/2013 11:19 AM, -MIKE- wrote:

"They" simply have yet to experience the aches and pains of being closer to the end, rather than the beginning, of "the journey".
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On 1/27/13 11:26 AM, Swingman wrote:

I guess what's it means to me is we should enjoy life while we're trying to reach our dreams and goals, because too often, when one finally attained those things, there's such little life left to enjoy them.
--

-MIKE-

On Sun, 27 Jan 2013 11:16:27 -0600, Swingman wrote:

windows. Though disorganization is distracting enough, improper lighting is a handicap, also. I really like the window space and the atmosphere it presents, in one of those shops, shown.

Yep, no windows in mine and all the doors are sorta visible from the house. Theft hasn't been a problem where I am, but no use tempting the lowlife.

I like an oiled wood floor, too much of a fire hazard though.

You had to go there didn't ya :)
I told my three offspring that even though I was spending their inheritance, I was going to leave plenty behind for them to sell and or fight over.
basilisk

That same shop with all the windows also has a checkerboard design on the floor - which I find very distracting.
If I was working on a big project that was sitting on the floor, I think all those lines would screw my eyes up.