Chamfering holes in wood

Page 1 of 2
What is a good tool to use in a drill press for chamfering holes, something that won't grab or chatter?
--
Paul O.

Coutersink bits are generally available in common size ranges for various angles. Here's some cheap ones that may work for you.
http://www.harborfreight.com/countersink-and-deburring-tool-set-66996.html
http://www.harborfreight.com/1-2-half-inch-six-flute-countersink-93342.html
Several name brands and other cheap ones are available from Amazon and the other usual sources.

The 93342 one above is pure crap. It chatters like a woodpecker. This one is good. http://www.generaltools.com/-195-34--34-Rose-Pattern-Countersink_p_230.html Art
On Mon, 09 May 2011 22:14:12 +0000, Larry W wrote:

I've had good luck with a countersink from Lee Valley in an old eggbeater hand drill. If I've got more than a dozen or so, the same bit works in my drill press. See:
<http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/page.aspx? pA012&cat=1,180,42240,42281&ap=1>

I haven't tried the first ones, but the second sucks.
--

-MIKE-

On 5/9/2011 6:32 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

Agreed. It's like they forgot to sharpen it or something...
On 5/9/11 7:09 PM, Steve Turner wrote:

The didn't forget. They just don't. :-)
--

-MIKE-

Paul wrote:

How big of a hole (round or some other shape)? What's the material? Router, Spokeshave, Dremel-tool? Of course, you mentioned DP. I'm just the group-student around here. Surely someone who really knows will help, but I think it will be helpful if you will answer the first two questions.
Bill

Bill... Reread the heading......WOOD ww
WW wrote:

Maple or pine??? Both "WOOD", no? : ) lol
Bill wrote:

At the same time, when I first asked, "What's the material", I was wondering how "thick" the material present was--wanting to let one end of a spokeshave into the hole if possible. Sorry if I was vague.
Bill
Paul O.
"Bill" < snipped-for-privacy@NOSPAM.net> wrote in message
Google search - Irwin countersink bits. Click on the 3rd picture
http://www.google.com/search?q=irwin+camfer+bits&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-Address&ie=&oe=&rlz=1I7SUNA_en#sclient=psy&hl=en&rls=com.microsoft:en-us%3AIE-Address&rlz=1I7SUNA_en&source=hp&q=irwin+counter+sink+bits&aq=f&aqi=g-lv1&aql=&oq=&pbx=1&fp=4cde0c04544dc3d8&biw=1259&bih=701
Sonny
"Sonny" wrote:
Google search - Irwin countersink bits. Click on the 3rd picture
http://www.google.com/search?q=irwin+camfer+bits&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-Address&ie=&oe=&rlz=1I7SUNA_en#sclient=psy&hl=en&rls=com.microsoft:en-us%3AIE-Address&rlz=1I7SUNA_en&source=hp&q=irwin+counter+sink+bits&aq=f&aqi=g-lv1&aql=&oq=&pbx=1&fpLde0c04544dc3d8&biw 59&bihp1 ------------------------------- 5 flute Irwin C'Sinks get the job done.
Lew

For reamer type tools, those with odd numbers of flutes cut rounder holes.
"Paul" wrote:

---------------------------------- Save yourself the time and aggravation, forget HF.
Good cutting tools are not sold at HF.
Try WW Grainger, McMaster-Carr or equal.
Expect to pay about $15 for a decent counter sink.
Have fun.
Lew

"Good" is relative and you have to watch what you get from the industrial suppliers, too. Grainger, M-C, and MSC all have low cost import lines that in some cases are identical to the items sold at HF.
plausible, and wrong." (H L Mencken)
"Larry W" wrote:

--------------------------------- I wouldn't know, I don't go looking for crap.
Lew

45 degree chamfer? Router with a chamfer bit will give you the cleanest surface. Not sure I've ever seen a countersink for a 1" pilot hole, but a good one won't be cheap.
On Monday, May 9, 2011 12:53:45 PM UTC-7, Paul wrote:

Well, you could try a small piloted roundover bit (but in a router for best results, 'cuz the depth control is better). For big holes, maybe freehand with a rotary sanding drum like in a Dremel tool.