Cedar shingle coverage

Hello, Just a couple of questions regarding sidewall shingles with white cedar extras. At HD, they sell them by the bundle. 1. What is the typical exposure you guys use for the shingles ? i.e. 5.5 inches, etc 2. At the typical exposure, how many bundles per square ?
I found this formula on the web. I am curious if this is correct. Add the butt ends of a bundle together (20+20 = 40 Divide that by '8'. (40/8=5) Multiply the result x the exposure you want to use (5 x 5.5" exposure '.5 sq ft) of bundle coverage Approx 4 bundles per square.
Thanks.
Eerything worth knowing about shingles and their installation is on this site.
Are you sure you are getting a good grade of shingle at HD? The shingles at the Lowes and HDs around here are only utility quality -lots of knots, etc. You want clear cedar. IIRC I think they are called "perfections". Anyway check it out at http://www.cedarbureau.org /

the exposure. Use stainless fasteners if possible. Tom Work at your leisure!

bundles per square at an exposure of 5 inches to the weather. Tom Work at your leisure!