casters

I have some large machines to move around and am going to build some heavy duty dollies. While looking for casters, I found these folks.
http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?item=1-1721-S&catname=wheels
I ordered a dozen of these, should do the job and they are cheap for what they are.
These should work well with lumber racks and such.
basilisk
On 4/18/2013 9:47 AM, basilisk wrote:

. FWIW It is difficult to determine the quality of the plastic and or rubber tires that are used on casters. Expensive castors are not exempt.
Swingman and I both have had the tires crumble under relatively light loads, they simply dried out.
I have found that the cast iron casters are relatively inexpensive and roll quite nicely and relatively quietly.
Unless the casters come with a life time warranty I wold not expect any thing to hold up unless it is all metal.
I would me much more likely to buy these,
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/category_casters+1-000-1-499-lbs.+4294944415+10-20

Few casters go through the abuse suffered by musicians' and production companies' road cases. Most of the road case companies in Nashville get their casters, here.. http://www.myerstruck.com They know their stuff and can recommend the best product for one's use.
--

-MIKE-

On Thu, 18 Apr 2013 11:42:15 -0500, Leon wrote:

+4294944415+10-20
Those look good and priced nice too,(should have asked before I bought) I figured if the rubber blew out on the ones I ordered, I would peel it off and proceed on the cast iron.
basilisk
On 4/18/2013 6:02 PM, basilisk wrote:

Well actually I ended up buying the cast iron caster and simply swapped out the wheel after the red plastic crumbled. You are not paying enough to break the band to begin with and with the knowledge that you can repair later you will probably be happy. Not sure if the "rims" w/p tires would mar the floor however, the cast iron ones are typically wide and flat.

I have bought a couple dozen of the following for myself and my son over the last five years or so in the 3" and 4" sizes.. Just recently one has failed. The one that failed is about 18 months old and well out of any warranty. Up until this failure I have been really happy with these casters. The failure was on a cobbled up furniture dolly, and the banging and dropping these things get may have been the cause. The ones on my TS are fine after 5 years, and I can wheel it around with one finger.
Posted pics on ABPW. They are un-yEnc'd, but big files. Didn't notice how big until they uploaded. Don't d/l if you're on dialup.
Apologies, Roy
http://www.woodcraft.com/product/2001989/3723/3-caster-double-locking-swiveling-with-4-hole-mounting-plate-414-tall.aspx
On 4/18/2013 10:47 AM, basilisk wrote:

I have similar ones for my lumber rack. Big mistake as the rack is not just heavy, but it sits there for months or years w/o moving. The rubber tires which appear hard, flatten out in a hurry, and moving something heavy with square (flat spots) is a bitch. I would go with steel or a heavy duty plastic tire for lumber racks and such.
My Table saw/jointer bench is heavy and I have it on heavy duty plastic/phenolic/rubber mix wheels a friend of mine gave me many years ago. I don't know what they are made of specifically, but they came off a heavy duty piece of equipment and they don't flatten and won't mar floors. My shop is cement so if I ever replace the wheels on my lumber rack, it will be steel wheels all the way..
--
Jack
Here's a good test. I just bought four HF 3" wheels for a lumber rack with a 2'x4' base. $3.29 each. I've had decent luck with their wheels for other machines. We'll see how they hold up.